Motherboard EATX Power socket

Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of running and feedback for the next few mins. I'm connecting my psu to all the components in my new rig but just wanting to check a few things.
First, my motherboard has an 8-pin EATX power socket (one by the cpu) with a plastic cap over one half. But my psu only comes with a 4-pin plug so could i just plug in that? Thanks

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
Motherboard = Asus P5Q SE PLUS
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard eatx power socket
  1. Quote:
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a bit of running and feedback for the next few mins. I'm connecting my psu to all the components in my new rig but just wanting to check a few things.
    First, my motherboard has an 8-pin EATX power socket (one by the cpu) with a plastic cap over one half. But my psu only comes with a 4-pin plug so could i just plug in that? Thanks

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
    Motherboard = Asus P5Q SE PLUS

Please, someone. I really am at a loose-end here. I've searched the web as best I can.
  2. Quote:
    Please, someone. I really am at a loose-end here. I've searched the web as best I can.

what size power supply do you have?

yes you can power it up with just the 4 pin plug in the 8 pin socket.. ive seen this done plenty with older psu's on new motherboards.. you can even get a 4 to 8 pin motherboard adapter wire to cross it over..
  3. Thanks for the info man. It is some random winpower 500w psu that came with the case so thinking about replacing it
  4. Quote:
    Thanks for the info man. It is some random winpower 500w psu that came with the case so thinking about replacing it

nothing like a new psu make the wheels turn faster.. i would get that winpower out asap! but it should suffice for the time being.. :)
  5. Done and done. Thanks for the advice, I tried it with the winpower one but it didn't boot anyways so I've got a http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CM-RP520W
    Toodlepip
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Socket Motherboards Power