Motherboard EATX Power socket

G

Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of running and feedback for the next few mins. I'm connecting my psu to all the components in my new rig but just wanting to check a few things.
First, my motherboard has an 8-pin EATX power socket (one by the cpu) with a plastic cap over one half. But my psu only comes with a 4-pin plug so could i just plug in that? Thanks

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
Motherboard = Asus P5Q SE PLUS

G

Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of running and feedback for the next few mins. I'm connecting my psu to all the components in my new rig but just wanting to check a few things.
First, my motherboard has an 8-pin EATX power socket (one by the cpu) with a plastic cap over one half. But my psu only comes with a 4-pin plug so could i just plug in that? Thanks

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
Motherboard = Asus P5Q SE PLUS

Please, someone. I really am at a loose-end here. I've searched the web as best I can.

x-nitrous-x

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Please, someone. I really am at a loose-end here. I've searched the web as best I can.

what size power supply do you have?

yes you can power it up with just the 4 pin plug in the 8 pin socket.. ive seen this done plenty with older psu's on new motherboards.. you can even get a 4 to 8 pin motherboard adapter wire to cross it over..

G

Thanks for the info man. It is some random winpower 500w psu that came with the case so thinking about replacing it

x-nitrous-x

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the info man. It is some random winpower 500w psu that came with the case so thinking about replacing it

nothing like a new psu make the wheels turn faster.. i would get that winpower out asap! but it should suffice for the time being.. :)