Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer has no power and I want to find out what type of motherboard and com

Last response: in Motherboards
October 28, 2009 6:05:00 PM

I am working on two seperate computers and one does not power up. I would like to identify the motherboard, BIOS, cpu, etc to see if it is worth working on. Is there a way to do this by numbers that are on the parts or the way the motherboard is laid out, etc. I am a student so I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I need to know this informatino before I waste my time replacing parts. It has a numbered on several labels on it and there are numbers on the BIOS and then it has an Intel processor with some numbers. The motherboard is Award and has a label stuck on it with the numbers 311 IG0248. This may be something that the original owner put on it. I'm not sure. Please help!

Thanks, Darlene Sage

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 9:01:28 PM

Remove the cpu or memory; either one will tell you if your board has enough speed to justify the cost. Many memory sticks have the id label intact; pc133 is old sdram, and motherboards are harder to find; pc2100-pc3200 has enough speed to warrant further investigation; and ddr2 is labeled at 3200-8500. For the cpu, any upright cpus such as the Intel p3 450 up to the original athlons that sit in a slot looking like a large memory stick with a cover aren't worth salvaging; they use pc133 sdram. All newer cpus will sit flat and have a square shape. And newer power supplies will have at least 220 watts; Anything less I would toss out. The faster p3's will also be square shaped and use sdram; their value is for internet use only.
October 29, 2009 11:29:01 AM

Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful.
m
l
Related resources
!