My computer has no power and I want to find out what type of motherboard and com

darlenesage

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I am working on two seperate computers and one does not power up. I would like to identify the motherboard, BIOS, cpu, etc to see if it is worth working on. Is there a way to do this by numbers that are on the parts or the way the motherboard is laid out, etc. I am a student so I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I need to know this informatino before I waste my time replacing parts. It has a numbered on several labels on it and there are numbers on the BIOS and then it has an Intel processor with some numbers. The motherboard is Award and has a label stuck on it with the numbers 311 IG0248. This may be something that the original owner put on it. I'm not sure. Please help!

Thanks, Darlene Sage

Solution
Remove the cpu or memory; either one will tell you if your board has enough speed to justify the cost. Many memory sticks have the id label intact; pc133 is old sdram, and motherboards are harder to find; pc2100-pc3200 has enough speed to warrant further investigation; and ddr2 is labeled at 3200-8500. For the cpu, any upright cpus such as the Intel p3 450 up to the original athlons that sit in a slot looking like a large memory stick with a cover aren't worth salvaging; they use pc133 sdram. All newer cpus will sit flat and have a square shape. And newer power supplies will have at least 220 watts; Anything less I would toss out. The faster p3's will also be square shaped and use sdram; their value is for internet use only.
Remove the cpu or memory; either one will tell you if your board has enough speed to justify the cost. Many memory sticks have the id label intact; pc133 is old sdram, and motherboards are harder to find; pc2100-pc3200 has enough speed to warrant further investigation; and ddr2 is labeled at 3200-8500. For the cpu, any upright cpus such as the Intel p3 450 up to the original athlons that sit in a slot looking like a large memory stick with a cover aren't worth salvaging; they use pc133 sdram. All newer cpus will sit flat and have a square shape. And newer power supplies will have at least 220 watts; Anything less I would toss out. The faster p3's will also be square shaped and use sdram; their value is for internet use only.

Solution