Flashing screen on vista and seven - video to follow

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Ok, This is the last thing I need help with, promise...
Simple enough situation to explain, Whenever I use windows vista or windows 7, and when something's happening on screen, the screen flashes.
If I have firefox open, then scroll down a long page, the screen flashes, when a game is open and things are moving on screen, it flashes, when in device manager, opening the sub menus, it flashes.

When I say it flashes, the screen doesn't go off per sé, but it goes blank for a fraction of a second, either that, or it the screen shifts down slightly for a fraction of a second. It does it way too often for me to just live with it, it makes games darn right annoying, same goes even for simple web browsing...

Everything is on default, freshly installed operating systems other than installing drivers and doing windows updates up to the current point

Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum Ver 1
CPU: Phenom X3 8750 black edition
Memory: 1x2GB DDR2 PC6400 CAS 6-6-6-18
Graphics: Club3d HD4870 1GB overclocked edition
Hard drive 1: 60GB IDE (Vista Ultimate Edition 64bit SP1)
Hard drive 2: 120GB IDE (Windows7 Ultimate Edition 64bit RC1)
Disc Drive: Sony DVD+-RW
Screen: LCD TFT max resolution 1280x1024 (never had any problems with this in the past.

I haven't really tried much to fix it myself as I really can't think what would make it happen.. I tried the obvious stuff like changing the screen refresh rate and changing the screen resolution, neither of which make any difference at all.

I'll put a video showing the problem on youtube and link to it here when it finishes uploading (though can't promise amazing quality from my digital camera)
I used device manager as the opening of the sub menus seems to trigger it a lot of the time, best way I could think of making it do it whilst i recorded it.

EDIT:: The youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da9upqW_LSk

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Ok, I'm gonna cry in a minute... It's gone back to the first problem I had with it...
I just left the PC by itself for 10 minutes it's just frozen... totally frozen dead, the screen hasn't died or anything but it won't respond...

Could RAM cause the flickering screen? if so maybe I was wrong when I said the timings were right in the first thread I made... ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=264776&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0 )

I swear this computer has been more trouble than it's worth :( it just hates me....

Can somebody please point me in the direction of some new RAM (in the UK) with definite listed timings that I can set in the BIOS? (so there's no chance that this could be due to incorrect timings on the RAM)