Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recovering xp backup files to Win 7 system via ext.HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2011 12:20:50 AM

I just bought a new Z-system with win7,1.5HDD 8meg. ram,Intel 870 on a Dh55TC board and a minimal video card.
My problem is a simple one(hopefully).I have a WD external HDD with a backup of a XP Pro system on it.I'm at loss as to how to get Win 7 to restore the music/photos w\o mucking up the Win 7 install.Been told to copy the backup file from ext.HDD to main system.Win 7 won't recognize the file in the restore setting program.Should be simple,no doubt.Yet I even tried to rename the file on the system with no results.What the correct way to get this done???
a b G Storage
January 2, 2011 5:35:00 PM

when you say backup, did you mean you use some program to create an image of your xp system, OR you copied the files to ext. drive?

If you copied the files, should be able to simply copy file from ext drive to local internal drive.

If used a specific program for backup, you need to use the same program and see if can restore the files you want. It all depends on the software you used.
m
l
January 3, 2011 11:21:07 PM

electrontau said:
when you say backup, did you mean you use some program to create an image of your xp system, OR you copied the files to ext. drive?

If you copied the files, should be able to simply copy file from ext drive to local internal drive.

If used a specific program for backup, you need to use the same program and see if can restore the files you want. It all depends on the software you used.

What I did was make a backup copy of my XP Pro to my EXT. HDD via windows backup for a 32 bit Win XP Pro.
It now comes up as a backup file on the ext. HDD. Win 7 restore doesn't recognize the XP Pro backup file to do a restore from.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 4, 2011 1:27:02 AM

unfortunately you cannot restore from one OS to different OS. You have restore to another XP Pro computer and them copy and paste your files.

I don't know any other way. Maybe someone else might know.

Good Luck.
January 13, 2011 5:15:29 PM

It's as I suspected....I'd need to use a different system and "move" the files from a XP system that's running to my new system.
"ain't no easy way to tell a snorer that he is snoring"-Mark Twain.
Nice to know that my gut feeling on what I had to do was correct.
Thanks!
m
l
January 13, 2011 5:15:51 PM

Best answer selected by Kenredfox767.
m
l
!