System shutdown without warning when running games

aaroninwv

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2003
Hi, I'm having a problem with my system. When I play any game that puts any strain on the system, it shuts off completely without warning. Old games that do not require much of the system do not cause a problem. The sound will sometimes go out before the system shuts down (I don't think that always happens though). It seems to be happening more and more often though. I suspect the powersupply is dieing. But maybe the cpu or gpu is overheating (the fans are all operating)? I don't have any parts to swap out. Before I order a new ps or buy a new cpu cooler, I thought I'd ask for help.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: MSI Radeon 4850 (retail cooler)
CPU: Intel E8400
Ram: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Sound: SB Audigy 4

300GB Sata HD
500GB extenal USB HD
120GB EIDE HD connected with Ulta133 TX2 PromiseTech EIDE controller
DVDR Drive/DVD Drive

WinXP SP3

The parts are about 1 year old, except for the Sound card, HDs, and Optical drives.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
The power supply is a good quality one and your system isn't pushing it to it's limit. It's likely not the problem Use Realtemp to monitor cpu temps and gpuz to monitor gpu temps. Test your ram with memtest86+ and test your cpu with prime95.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Another simple test you can do to rule out heat, is to leave the side case off and have a house fan blow directly into the case.
If it still shuts off, then you are sure that it is not heat related.

As stated by orangegator, test your ram and cpu.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hmmm,you did not say that you were experiencing a BSOD,nonetheless,go to my computer,system,advanced,and under debugging turn off automatic restart,this will cause windoze to send to the console the error of the BSOD,,usually,over here anyhow,,it is usually video or sound drivers that are the usual suspects ,,and BTW with 4g of ram you do not have to maintain a swapfile,only if other programs need it ,,gaming does not,,also sometimes defragging the partition/hdd that stuff is on helps,,go to WWW.AUSLOGIC.COM for the fastest little defragger around...:)

aaroninwv

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2003
We figured out what the problem was using gpuz. The gpu was overheating, it would jump up to 110C, 115C, and once it hit 120C the system would shut down. Apparently the cooler originally shipped on MSI's 4850 was inadequate, because they soon after replaced it with a much larger cooler. Unfortunately we got one of the original.

We have the options of getting a replacement cooler, using the warrenty, or buying a new card. The card has a 3 year warrenty, but MSI charges $45 dollars to send you a new card after the shipping you pay to send it to them. We can also get a replacement cooler, but that would be about $30 with shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016).

I don't know which is the better option though. Is it likely that the current card is now damaged from a few months of overheating? Or if I get a replacement card from MSI, are these new? Or refurbished? Is it likely to be safer than the old card?