Will it FIT?: P8P67 DELUXE + ripjaws x2 + Mugen rev. B + CM690 II

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
P8P67 DELUXE
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB×2) (@ slot A2 and B2)
Core i7 2600K BOX
Cooler Master CM 690 II Plus

Hi, my M/B is being recalled :??: ,taking advantage of the fact that i have to remove the m/b I decided to upgrade the heat sink fan.

The problem is I cant find any example showing that system of above spec will fit without problem.

My primary concern is that 1, will it block my ram slot? and 2, will it fit in CM 690 II case? (both height and backplate space)

my secondary concern is firstly, would the hyper 212+ be superior to this mugen HSF? I choose mugen rev .b due to its size, and ability to mount fan in 4 directions.
and secondly, if wanted to choose custom 120mm fan (push-pull) what do you suggests?(additionally, do i need to remove the m/b to install new fan?)

thankyou in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

If it really will not fit then I apologize for the bad info. I have not heard of this cooler not fitting a board. It fits my Gigabyte P67 board fine. I thought it was universal and fit all sockets so I am surprised it would not fit an Asus board.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

That's alright I heard a lots of people who cut v-notch on their back plate, and I live in japan so this thing is cheap anyways :) my main concern now is keeping metal dust from shorting out m/b.

zona

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

dontknownots, I'm thinking of getting the P8P67 DELUXE with a COOLER MASTER 690 II Advanced. I know you have the Plus, but I believe it's similar to the Advanced. I've heard some ramblings that the case does not fit this 1155 Mobo. Without the added heat sink fan, did the mobo fit ok?

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I have an ASUS P8P67 Pro and I was going to do the same thing. Glad I read this. I don't want to take a chance that this won't fit. Unfortunately Scythe's Website is trash and doesn't give up to date compatibility listings.

GBPackerNut

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Ok, after a bunch of investigating here is what I found
ASUS Motherboards that the Mugen B will fit fine:
p8p67
p8p67 LE
p8p67 Pro

Ones that wont fit properly:
p8p67 EVO
p8p67 Deluxe

There is a heatsink present on those two models just below the CPU socket. One of the mounts securing that heatsink interferes with the backplate. Your option is to buy the Scythe Retention Kit #3, or use a dremel to make a small notch in the backplate where the nut that interferes is.

I am not sure yet if the p8p67 SaberTooth is affected or not, as it does not have a heatsink there, but there is a provision to mount a 50x50x10mm fan in the vicinity.

Hope this helps everyone out.

It looks like the Prolimatech Megahalems is the guy to go to for the Deluxe and EVO boards...

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Thanks for the info.
I bought one last night and was going to try and attach the backplate today on my P8P67 Pro. The replacement board came this weekend and I'm goingg to swap out the mobo's this weekend.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

sorry 4 late reply, its standard atx mobo mount so no problem

edit: just one thing, the 690 II wont fit VGA over 300 cm long or you have to cut or remove HDD trays
edit edit: one more thing, although the case have opening for HSF backplate installation, it wont line up properly with holes on 1155 so if you are doing something involving CPU backplate you have to remove the whole board or modify the mobo access opening

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I wud recommend chop off AMD mount hole, you probably wont use it anyway.

I use nail filer and sand paper, that took me half an hour.

Right now I personally believe that with proper filing tools everything is bound to fit eventually.

Metal dust can be deal with by hard drive magnet.

zona

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

dontknownotsure, do you mean 30 cm? 300 cm is 118 inches, that's huge!

Is a HSF recommended? If not overclocking, is the fan that comes with the CPU sufficient? If not, since i'm installing everything at the same time, can i attach a HSF to the mobo before installation (so mobo already removed) without modifying the case (which sounds intimidating to me)?

Thanks.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Oh GEE, epic typo. Good god 3 meter long VGA.
Actually it's 304 mm long to be exact.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

is the fan that comes with the CPU sufficient?
I assume you are talking about my cpu?? anyway, I'm not planning to OC this thing for the moment. at first , it is my intention to use it @clock setting with stock cooler until there is a need to overclock or I've manage to un-lazy myself. Only than would I start looking for alternative cooling solution.

However, after finding out that my temp approaches ~85c @100% load with this stock low profile intel cooler, I know I have to change this HSF or I will risk shortening cpu lifespan. But I have to point out though that realistically speaking, my cpu load rarely reach even 50%+ in real usage condition(100% is a synthetic test) and idle temp is around 28-35. Recommended? maybe i'm just being paranoid but I don't want to take chances, with this HSF it is now steady at ~60C at 100% load tho.

can i attach a HSF to the mobo before installation (so mobo already removed) without modifying the case

Of course you can, in my case I found out that the neck of my HSF is as strong or stronger than the mobo itself so with HSF acting as handle when lifting, the installation is 10x easier!