Your question

It looks a lot like hard drive failure but it can't be

Last response: in Windows XP
October 13, 2011 4:01:57 PM

My computer won't start

Asus P5Q SE2
Seagate Barracuda and Maxtor Diamondmax, both 80GB, both SATA
Pulled from working pre-built PCs so I'm assuming the OS is OEM for each
Both are using Windows XP Home Premium Service Pack 3 (32 bit)
I have a repair disc for the Maxtor OS, and it should work on the Seagate OS

I want to put the Seagate in my new build PC. Both hard drives worked with an old Pentium 4 motherboard (that used to be for the Seagate) and during boot the HDD activity light is on, but it turns off after the screen freezes, so the HDDs still work. And the PC freezes whenever:

-I go past the first Windows Logo with the loading bar. The mouse is just frozen on the screen. If I plug in another Seagate 1000GB barracuda with secured 64 bit partition which I intend to use when I upgrade to Win 7 64 bit, the screen moves to an arrow and hourglass, but it never makes it to login.)

-I try to start in any of the 3 safe modes (the list of drivers comes up but the PC just freezes).

-I run a chkdsk (it counts down from 10 to 5 then freezes. I've left it for 20 minutes with no activity. I've ran chkdsk on another motherboard and it ran fine.

-I use the recovery console from the recovery CD. It goes to 'executing disk configuration' then freezes.

-I try to run Windows off the CD (it does a bunch of other executions then comes to 'exec. disk config' and freezes

-I run Seagate's built in PC angel recovery software.

I don't mind erasing what's on the Seagate as there is nothing of value (I do mind what happens to the Maxtor though). I need Windows XP on the HDD or my Win 7 upgrade won't work - plus I don't want to pay for Windows again. Any solutions?

More about : lot hard drive failure

October 13, 2011 4:48:43 PM

attacus said:
My computer won't start
I don't mind erasing what's on the Seagate as there is nothing of value (I do mind what happens to the Maxtor though). I need Windows XP on the HDD or my Win 7 upgrade won't work - plus I don't want to pay for Windows again. Any solutions?

You can install using an upgrade dvd without having XP installed.

Method 3: double install method always works

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-ins...
October 13, 2011 5:48:49 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You can install using an upgrade dvd without having XP installed.

Method 3: double install method always works

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-ins...

I've tried this with all HDDs. The Seagate gives me a blue screen; the Maxtor just resets and so does the 1tb Seagate.
Related resources
October 13, 2011 6:26:10 PM

If you don't care about the data on the drive, then yes. Also, diskpart's clean command is not a format. Let the windows installer walk you through partitioning the disk and formatting, assuming the clean works for you.

I've seen windows installations hang on unknown partition types. A clean will make the disk "raw".
October 15, 2011 5:49:08 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you don't care about the data on the drive, then yes. Also, diskpart's clean command is not a format. Let the windows installer walk you through partitioning the disk and formatting, assuming the clean works for you.

I've seen windows installations hang on unknown partition types. A clean will make the disk "raw".

The 1TB hard drive is empty. And I can't install Ubuntu on either of the drives without the PC resetting. When I enter BIOS I get the message 'no hard drive is detected', but the hard drive is labeled under the SATA connections.Could the motherboard itself be responsible? Pretty much everything except the CPU, hard drives and mobo is new.

The RAM timings, if it helps: 6-6-6-18-3-52-6-3
8-3-6-4-6-4-7
15-5-1-7-7
2 sticks of identical arbitrary branded RAM, 800mhz, 2GBx2. I've tried it with just 2GB, to no avail. The RAM is used, I don't know how long for.

October 23, 2011 1:38:22 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you suspect the ram, you can test it with memtest. If it fails with all sticks in, try testing 1 stick at a time.

http://www.memtest.org/

Also try the drive vendor's test utilities to see if the drives are bad. Seagate purchased maxtor a while back I think, so their tools may work on maxtor drives. Other than that, it could be the motherboard.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name...

I used diskpart and made my 64 bit hard drive raw. There doesn't seem to be any improvement. Any suggestions?
October 23, 2011 1:56:23 PM

Wow, I don't know what elese to try. At this point maybe it is a motherboard issue. Do you have another system that you can try putting the hard drive in and installing windows on it? That would help eliminate or prove the motherboard is going bad.
October 23, 2011 3:24:33 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Wow, I don't know what elese to try. At this point maybe it is a motherboard issue. Do you have another system that you can try putting the hard drive in and installing windows on it? That would help eliminate or prove the motherboard is going bad.

I used a low-end motherboard and set up Windows on the 1TB HDD with the recovery disk. Do you think this is sufficient evidence to prove to the seller (along with a video illustrating the problem) that the motherboard is problematic?
October 24, 2011 11:46:39 AM

The only way to know is to try, but after everything else that has been tried I don't see how they can think otherwise.
!