New Raid 1 array, old HDD not booting

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hello,

I recently installed 2x WD 1TB HDD's in a RAID 1 array on the intel controller along with my previous 500GB WD. I was able to install windows 7 on the new raid 1 array and it boots with no problem. I made sure to install the SATA drivers during the windows installation. My SATA RAID mode is on RAID. However, when i try to boot from the old 1x 500GB HDD it gets stuck on the windows logo and crashes. I am still able to access the files on the 500GB HD, I just cannot boot from it. Did i do something wrong or is the old HDD just jealous?

Specs:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
2x WD 1TB in RAID 1 (Ich)(Windows 7 installed)
1x WD 500GB (Windows 7 installed and no longer booting)

Solution
Yeah I believe 4745454b is correct. I'm going to assume when you installed windows on your old 500gb hard drive that your bios was set to IDE mode. Now you have switched to raid/ahci and your old windows 7 installation isn't set up for that.

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

I would suggest going in to your bios, switching to IDE mode again, make very sure to only boot from your old 500gb and then follow the guide I linked to. You can then go back and switch to raid/ahci in your bios and you should be set.

I don't think this will have an effect on your raid 1 array, but I am not 100% certain.

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Yes, the old hard drive was not connected when i created the new array nor when i installed windows to the new array. After I made sure the windows installation worked, I then connected the old drive and have used both the boot menu and boot priority to get the old hdd to boot but it always gets hung up at the windows logo.

I am still able to access the old hard drive so my files are safe, it just won't boot anymore.

Fendulon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Yeah I believe 4745454b is correct. I'm going to assume when you installed windows on your old 500gb hard drive that your bios was set to IDE mode. Now you have switched to raid/ahci and your old windows 7 installation isn't set up for that.

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

I would suggest going in to your bios, switching to IDE mode again, make very sure to only boot from your old 500gb and then follow the guide I linked to. You can then go back and switch to raid/ahci in your bios and you should be set.

I don't think this will have an effect on your raid 1 array, but I am not 100% certain.

Solution

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Thank you 4745454b and Fendulon. That was the problem. I disconnected the array and was able to boot from the old hdd in IDE mode without a problem.

I edited the registry like the link said but I was only able to boot from the old hdd in AHCI mode, not in RAID mode. Unfortunately my array was created in RAID mode. This isnt a problem though because eventually I will always just boot from the array. I really just wanted to know what I did wrong.

Thanks again.