Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hi,

I've just bought myself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler for my AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE.

I have the Cooler Master Elite 430 case with 3 fans (1 front, 1 side, 1 back).

I was idling at around 35 to 40 with the phenom's stock cooler. Now after I install the Hyper 212 plus, the temps still idle at around 35 to 42 degrees celcius.

I used the thermal paste that came along with the cooler. Please suggest me if I am doing something wrong.

Solution
OK. Checked and changed everything, benchmarked (quite sick of 3DMark right about now I can tell you that!). This is what I came up with...

My CPU (just for clarity) is the Core 2 Quad Q8400. I overclocked it from 2.66GHz up to 3.2GHz. I removed the extra 120mm fan from the Hyper 212+ cooler, and ran the stock fan with only the BIOS Q-Fan profiles changed.

Idle, these where the stats in my BIOS:

dfyjde.jpg

To place the CPU under load, I did the following:

I used 3DMark06 and ran the two CPU benchies, 1920 x 1080 (although I don't think that makes a difference on the test, it doesn't do GPU testing then), each repeated 3 times without inteference.

This made for about 8 minutes of 100% CPU load...

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
the first time I tried applying the thermal paste with the line method (two lines). I removed the cooler and tried it again but this time I applied the thermal compound directly on the heat sink of the cooler master hyper 212 plus instead of the cpu (wiped thin line with a credit card).

But it seemed to not make any difference. I tried running prime 95 for 30 minutes and the temps goes to 50 degrees.

Is there any problem or is this normal. I checked the heat sink (its tight)

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I have the same cpu in an older apevia case with only 2 80mm fans one top one rear both exhaust and stock cpu fan with the side off the case <working on case fan upgrades> I idle 28-32c and under occt 1 hour cpu stress test max 59c (high max I know, thats why side is off and I am ordering new case fans and making a front intake fan work)

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I have re-applied the thermal paste but this time to the heat sink itself and not to the cpu. I still face the same problem. I checked my fan profiles (set to manual 41% fan speed when the temp hits 41 degrees). should it be like this or should I change the fan settings.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

should prolly try stressing for at least an hour to get your max but 50c isnt bad, if your idle temps are high you should maybe check your smart fan target and fan speed in your bios, also if cool and quiet is enabled or not, is this cpu overclocked at all?

as for the thermal paste install, if the hyper 212 has the same layout on the base as the TX3 I have in my old system then there are some small gaps along the edges of the heatpipes where they meet with the aluminum block, its best to fill these with paste then use a razorblade or creditcard to scrape the surface clean so that it make it all even (should have next to no paste anywhere except the gaps) then apply about half a pea sized dot of paste on the cpu right in the middle and place the heatsink on it letting the pressure of the mounting spread it.

the basic idea is to get the most metal to metal contact as you can while allowing no air spaces, while the surface of the cpu and heatsink seems smooth if you looked close enough you would see tons of tiny scratches and pits, the thermal paste fills these with somthing other than air to help conduct heat since air is a terrible conductor

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Try bumping that fan speed up to 50% if your talking about smart fan I believe the temp setting is the threshold where the fan speed starts to ramp up and the fan speed % is what speed the fan stays at untill that temp threshold is met, I currently keep mine at 50/50 meaning fan runs at 50% speed untill cpu hits 50c then starts speeding up

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I must disagree.

I just got mine as well (on Friday, to be exact) and tested it out over the weekend. Stock core speeds on my Q8400 is 2.66GHz. Idle temps before the cooler installation was around 36'C~40'C depending on if it was a hot day or a cool one.

Installed the Hyper 212+ and that dropped to 31'C.

Overclocked on stock cooling (OC to 3.2GHz) and the thing ran quite hot, reaching 49'C idle easily.

Installed the Hyper 212+ and that dropped to 35'C~37'C.

I used the heat sink compound that came with the cooler, and installed another 120mm fan on the heatsink (with the provided clips and things). A very important thing to do with this cooler (I made the same mistake) is that the screws need to be tightened FULLY. The screws that hold the heatsink in place, the physical ones on top of the motherboard must be screwed in as far as they would go. Do not worry about overtightening, they lock when they are tight enough. I tightened mine all the way, and the cooler now sits just right. If you don't tighten them all the way, the cooler sits loosely on the CPU and you get a crappy connection and thus pathetic heat dissapation.

Oh, and at full loads, the overclocked CPU still has to reach 50'C... :D

I'm going to be trying it out on 3D Mark 06 tonight, see if I can stress the cooler a bit :D

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
How do I adjust my fan speed to 50 percent. I don't know how to do it.

I also haven't overclocked my CPU yet (will get another fan for the cooler in push pull configuration and then try to overclock).

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
not for sure on your mobo how to do it but on mine if I go into the bios and go to HW monitor there is an option for cpu smart fan target, when you enable it you choose a temp then under that is an option for the fan %

you said its set for 41% at 41c did you set that? if so how? I am thinking you may be fine with higher fan speed at idle since your temps are not to bad under load

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I did not set the fan speed. its already set. I have an Asus motherboard M4N75TD. There is a software installed namely asus fan expert. I saw it in that.

well , I saw my motherboard bios. I think I will try setting the fan speed to 50% on idle. Will that be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or should I set it to a bit higher than that.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
also check your Amd cool and quiet settings, since your not overclocked if you set this to auto it can reduce your idle temps by a decent amount, it should be in your bios under cell menu

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I have changed the fan settings to 50% above 20 degrees and 100% at 60 degrees but still no success. its the same temperature. I am getting 36 degrees celcius as the temperature right now. AMD cool and quiet is disabled because if I set it ON then the CPU speed will reduce itself to 800 Mhz instead of 3200 Mhz.

Please tell me what has to be done now. The fan is running at 1600 RPM now.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

cool and quite to auto will reduce the cpu only when the extra speed isnt needed its meant to save power when its not needed and less power means less heat, try setting cool and quiet to auto see your idle temps, then run a stress test and watch your cpu speed, it should go up to its normal when loaded iirc

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

no if overclocking you need to disable cool and quiet to keep the voltage stable from what i hear, but in the mean time if your not oc'in it will help you on idle temps if your going to OC then you will need to improve case airflow, and prolly run your fans at 100%, just a thought, what way did you install the cpu cooler? blowing down/up or front/back? front/back is best perfomance

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I have installed the cooler master hyper 212 plus with one 120 mm fan backwise. I will probably get another 120mm fan for push/pull config (front/back) setup. will that be helpful.

should I change the fan speed. what speed should I keep the fan. please suggest.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

yes fan taking air from the front blowing it thru the cooler toward the back of the case is best, a push/pull setup will give you better temps, there is no magic number for fan speeds you just have to adjust them up and down untill you reach a balance you like of temp/noise ratio like I said before your load temp of 50c is fine, having your cool and quiet disabled is why your seeing 35-40c idle temps but to be honest your not overheating at load so are the idle temps that important?, as another suggestion stated above you can get a top exhaust fan in your case to vent hot air out the top, that will help, also make sure your other fans are clean, got good airflow and then start making fan speed adjustments untill you find the ratio your comfortable with

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ok, I will get another couple of fans for the case (top and side). I will also get another cooler fan for the push/pull config. Currently I have set the fan speed to 40% at 20 to 30 degrees and 100% at 50 degrees (getting around 35 to 41 degrees idle now). is it good.