Sign in with
Your question

1st time builder, US$800 with gaming capability

Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2009 4:19:53 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: last week of May, first week of June

Budget Range: $500-$800

System Usage: Gaming (MMOs, FPS), School work (MS Office), Web browsing, minimal Photoshop work

Parts not Required:
Keyboard (PS/2), Mouse (USB), speakers, OS (will buy Vista from school, not included in budget)

Preferred Website for Parts: newegg

Part Preferences: as far as internal parts, I have no preferences

Overclocking:
willing, but not required

SLI/Crossfire: probably not

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (if monitor below is used)

Additional Comments: I plan on eventually adding a TV Tuner, but it doesn't need to be included in the budget now. My house also runs on a wireless network, so if you could point me in the direction of a good wireless card, that'd be appreciated as well.

Unless there are better suggestions I like this monitor:
ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers - Retail
and this case:
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
anything else I'm completely open to.

Monitor IS included in budget

thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate the effort you guys give to help people like me
May 10, 2009 4:29:53 PM

X3 720 & Biostar combo
4GB DDR2 1066
WD Caviar Black 640GB
Pioneer DVD
HD4870 1GB
BFG LS-550
May 10, 2009 7:29:34 PM

theAnimal said:
X3 720 & Biostar combo
4GB DDR2 1066
WD Caviar Black 640GB
Pioneer DVD
HD4870 1GB
BFG LS-550

do you have links to those suggestions? Looking them up myself and using my preferred monitor and case it put me about $100 over budget
Related resources
May 10, 2009 8:38:25 PM

The thing is, with the monitor included in the budget, you are really only looking at $640 for the computer. I think you should post what games you like, and what kind of settings you like to play on. 1920X1080 is a pretty high resolution that requires a pretty beefy graphics card if you want to play on high settings.

The combo processor and motherboard deal seems pretty good to me. You won't see a major difference in gaming with 4 cores opposed to the three in that processor. I don't really know much about that cpu, but i would think it has good overclocking potential as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This HDD is $50. How much space do you need? You might be able to save a few dollars by switching to this 320 GB HDD. I would still try and get a WD Caviar though. They are supposed to be fast and of good quality.

good RAM for $38 after mail in rebates

Any cheap, name-brand dvd burner should work. My choice would be a Sony or LG dvd burner. They run anywhere from $22 to $28 on Newegg.

This is a gtx 260 for $165. The graphics card is kind of hard for me to assess seeing as i really don't know what you want to play and what kind of setting you want to play at. If you want something cheaper you could go with a gts 250 or even the new hd 4770($100).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4770,2281...
Check that out. It's the review on the hd4770 and it's pretty impressive. Only $100 too. Later down the road you could another and crossfire them and have a lot of power for under $200. Here is the review for two hd4770's cf'd:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfi...

I don't know anything about wireless cards. If it was me i would just want to have a wired connection, but i understand if that is not feasible in your case. We live in a very wireless world...

Using the cheaper components, you could get a build as low as $656+some wireless card. I know you can probably get a pretty decent wireless card for cheap and have some money left over for a better gpu. Everything else seems pretty strong.
May 10, 2009 9:21:13 PM

Thank you for the input touchdowntexas. I do realize the monitor and resolution might require a bit more power than my budget range can handle. I'm willing to do some shopping around for something else. As far as what games I play, I mostly play WoW and I'm starting to get into CoD as well. I currently play at lowest possible settings, and my current computer has decided even that might be a bit too much at times. I'd like to be able to play at high settings, but as long as things run smoothly, I'm not terribly picky.
May 10, 2009 10:03:17 PM

bigwookie said:
Thank you for the input touchdowntexas. I do realize the monitor and resolution might require a bit more power than my budget range can handle. I'm willing to do some shopping around for something else. As far as what games I play, I mostly play WoW and I'm starting to get into CoD as well. I currently play at lowest possible settings, and my current computer has decided even that might be a bit too much at times. I'd like to be able to play at high settings, but as long as things run smoothly, I'm not terribly picky.

WoW and CoD are games that would run fine on any of the gpu's i listed, and at full settings i think. If mostly all you play is WoW, then I would say get the hd4770 or gts250. Some come with free games so that might be something that influences your decision. If you want a more future proof solution, i would say get the gtx 260 with the 216 processors (there are two different versions). I think you would still be under your budget, and some of them come with free games too. Just look for the best deal when you decide to make your purchase.

After looking at your build, I'm kind of surprised how much power you can get for $800. Right now i'm looking at building a $1400 system for the summer, but it's an i7 build so the prices are pretty high right now. I hope some of the components drop price a little bit here in the next month or month and a half.
May 10, 2009 11:14:33 PM
May 11, 2009 6:12:28 AM

ahslan said:
well for those games you mentioned, you really dont need a pricey pc to play them maxed out...which means you could probably get away with a dual core and a midrange gpu (with the option of crossfiring later on)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190737]
]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102835]

I think you make a good point. But the poster needs to decide how fast they want their machine to be for multi tasking, and possible audio/video encoding...

Maybe they don't do any of that so a really fast dual core option might be best. Another question they would need to address is how long they would like to go before upgrading. I don't foresee the market going back to single or dual core even. I think the number of cores is just going to keep increasing. That being said, more and more games/programs are going to be written to make use of those cores. So maybe a triple or quad core(probably out of the poster's budget) solution is what the poster needs to look at. That cpu/mobo combo that was posted by theAnimal seems pretty hard to beat speaking on the basis of budget. I'm almost tempted to switch what my first build will be made of. Originally i had an i7 processor/mobo, but that runs close to $600 when this goes for like $240. I really want the i7 though...i just want prices to come down. AMD seems to own the performance/dollar right now.
May 11, 2009 6:37:01 AM

Thank you all for your help, I'll look over your suggestions and throw up a potential build tomorrow
!