need_help_plz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Recently built a new system. Everything works fine, except for when I try to play a new game on high graphics settings (think Fear 2, Far Cry 2, etc.). I'm thinking it's the PSU, but I wanted to check here before I blow 100+ on a new one.

I'm currently using an Ultra 600w, non-modular PSU. It's served me well for 3+ years, but I'm not sure if it's enough to run the new system

Specs are:

Diamond Radeon 4890 1GB
Asus P6t Mobo
i7 920 Processor w/ Sunbeam Core Contact Cooler
6GB (2Gx3) OCZ ram
1 Sata HD, 2 IDE HD's
1 Sata DVD Rom
Case is a HAF 932 w/ 3 connected fans right now

It's hooked up to a Samsung 24" monitor that draws 100w, but that wouldn't come from the computer PSU would it?

I've been monitoring the CPU and GPU temps and it doesn't look like those are the problem, so the only thing I can think of is the PSU can't supply enough juice under heavy load. The computer runs fine when I play older games like Warcraft III, and internet browsing/office tasks.

Does it sound like the PSU is the problem? Or should 600w be enough to run all that? Also keep in mind that the PSU is now around 3 years old so it might be drawing less than the full 600w.

If I need a new PSU, I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

I plan on running Crossfire with another 4890 at some point in the future, would 850W be enough for that?

Thanks for the help.

Solution
i would say yes the power supply is the problem because your PSU is probably rated at the peak output and at a low temp (PSUs output more at low temps) it is probably 35-45C inside your case which could mean your only getting 400-500 watt or less from it.

the monitor gets its power from the wall

850 with 2 4890's should be enough because corsair is a reputable brand and rates their PSUs at realistic temps.
i would get a second opinion to be sure

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
i would say yes the power supply is the problem because your PSU is probably rated at the peak output and at a low temp (PSUs output more at low temps) it is probably 35-45C inside your case which could mean your only getting 400-500 watt or less from it.

the monitor gets its power from the wall

850 with 2 4890's should be enough because corsair is a reputable brand and rates their PSUs at realistic temps.
i would get a second opinion to be sure

Solution

need_help_plz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Good to know.

I looked up the Asus mobo w/ the 17 and similar ram installed and it takes about 250w, the 4890 is 120 according to that link. So I'm at 370 + peripherals....yet can't run the system under full load

I think Luke must be right and that the PSU isn't drawing anywhere near 600w. I've tried running w/ an open case and house fan blowing straight into the case and still get the same result, so I'm pretty sure overheating isn't the problem.

need_help_plz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
It's an Ultra x-finity model #31848. Specs are at:

http://ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=383&productID=388

Ultra offers a lifetime warranty on their products, and I have my registration confirmation, but I'm not sure if I can find an invoice/receipt.

I should point out that I know nothing about PSU's, and I have no idea how to read the spec chart:

+5V +3.3V +12V1 +12v2 -12V +5VSB

25A 30A 18A 20A 0.6A 2.5A

According to specs, your psu should be ok. But, since the other explanation, heat, seems to not be an issue, we are back to the psu.
Ultra x-finity is a tier 4 unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Not the worst, but not a good unit either. It's efficiency is only 70%.
It delivers only 35a on the combined 12v rails, which is about what a 500w unit should do.
It is a bit old, so perhaps it is time to replace it.

If you can test another psu in your system, try to do so to confirm the diagnosis.
Otherwise the Corsair850 is a good unit, but any corsair unit from 520w on up should be fine.