Water cooling...second res solution?

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I'm quite new to water cooling and recently ordered a swiftech H20-320 Edge, and a swiftech MCW-80 to cool the GPU. I was planning to run SLI at some point and was going to add in a second MCW-80 as well as a double 120 rad. This will all be mounted in a Corsair 800d.

Now the triple 120 rad was going to be mounted in the most logical place in the case...the top. With the pump / reservoir integrated into the rad, this leaves me to cut a hole in the case. I can do that, I'm just not particularly fond of doing so...particularly if I do a push / pull configuration I would think there'd be a significant gap between the hole in the case and the actual fill port on the res.

Sorry for the tl;dr lead in to my question, but I was looking at some rad prices for double 120 rads, and since the MCR-220 rad is sold out on jabtech, I began considering the MCR-220-QP which also has a built in reservoir. Would there be a problem simply using this one, with the second reservoir, and mounting it in a more ideal location to fill the loop instead? (It's a three dollar difference between the MCR-220 and the MCR-220-QP...so negligible.)

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I went with the H2O-320 primarily because I'm new to the game and I got a killer deal on it. It was cheaper than I could price out the individual components for. I appreciate the info

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You will be fine with that setup; there won't be any problems as long as you keep them sealed once you have the loop filled...but this is the case with any water loop. Air is the enemy inside of a water loop; it can damage pumps and get trapped in radiators resulting in less favorable cooling ability.