Asus P6T freezes in XP when making rar

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 10:17:18 PM

Hello, I just encountered some strange problem :

My configuration :
MB ASUS P6T, i7-950 Box, 4096MB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston (2x 2GB),
position DDR1 + DDR3 according to MB manual, VGA MSI N295GTX-2D1792, operating system installed on HDD WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA300,
storing HDD WD Caviar RE4-GP 2TB 64MB, DVD-RW LG GH22NP20, SoundBlaster X-FI Platinum with EX front panel (PCI), AverMedia TV Card (PCI). OS : WinXP Professional SP3, BIOS setup defaults, only the boot sequence changed - primary and secondary hdd, and no fullscreen logo...

In XP - ASUS MB power saving - High performance mode (plane icon)

Problem - when trying to compress 5GB file with winrar 3.41 - parts 250MB, it freezes after approx 3 mins - the entire winxp freezes - keyb not working, mouse, nothing. Only the screen is on. Sometimes it even shuts down and restarts. It makes some part of the second rar-part and then it freezes. When freezed, I must push the "hard reset" button to restart.

... while :
In XP - ASUS MB power saving - Medium power saving (car icon)
No problem - the compression runs smoothly and it is also finished.
But it lasts much longer to make the compression.

It is newly installed PC and OS, and I detected this problem when using Winrar - but it may happen in other programs too, but I cannot speculate now. I use WinXP because I hate Vista, and Win7 is still too new for me.

Thanx for your opinions, suggestions etc. vectord2000[at]yahoo.com
Anthony
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2009 1:06:15 AM

No point putting email addr, no one will use it. The advantage of a forum is that many can participate and gain from what you may learn.

You mention a 5GB file. What about other files? It's not uncommon for Winrar to fail to compress files and it may lock up while trying. Try a different file - both larger and smaller - see if it's just that one that causes the problem.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 5:56:34 AM

Thank you for your answer - there was the option to add an email address, so I used it. I am sure, it's nothing against anything. :) 

Also, thank you for the opinion about the Winrar issue - I've never experienced collapse of Winrar when compressing files, and I am using it for years. OK, there are many places where no man has gone before... :) 

I thought - this might be some HW problem - let me describe -
WinXP - ASUS P6T energy saving utility (which comes with the MB) - in DEFAULT = higher settings (more power for the PC) - the compression collapsed everytime - but always at some different point. For the first time it collapsed at 5%, then at 9%, then at 8%, then again at 9%...

But when I lowered the settings to MEDIUM energy saving, it just came through to 100% on the first shot...

So, I'm not sure what exactly it does when I change the settings and lower the power consumption of the PC in this ASUS P6T energy saving utility. Is it shutting down some fans? Or lowering the RPMs? Or even lowering Voltage to CPU or RAM? I will try to explore what exactly it did - and will bring the list of what has changed. Perhaps it didn't like the temperature somewhere? Or voltage of RAM?

Something was definitely higher and when lowered, the problem has disapperared. But I was not buying the i7-950 to "downclock it", right? :) 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 9:58:04 PM

Remember there's a complete difference between Energy Savings (Green Mode) and OverClocking or Optimizing the CPU. In most cases, they perform the opposite function.

When you turn on Energy Savings for the CPU or Hard Drive, it generally means they will be turned down or off. For the CPU, this may mean it reduces the Clock speed, the Voltage and the general output. For the Hard Drive, it can mean reducing the RPM or putting it completely in rest mode.

These settings can adversely affect certain operations. Anytime you're performing a process that uses the CPU and RAM, then the Hard Drive or back and forth - if the time between one operation and the other is long enough, one of the devices may "time out" and revert to Green or energy-saving mode. This can be a problem when writing a CD or creating a large file such as a compression file.

It sounds to me as though the CPU doesn't realize it's needed for overseeing the compression function and turns itself down or off. Since the creation of a compressed file is a very sensitive function - like burning an audio CD - the slow response from the CPU can cause a hiccup in the operation. This is why many people don't do anything else on their computer while burning a CD. If the CPU or temp file on hard drive isn't immediately available, the process can abort or more likely, create a fuzzy spot on the media.

The fan RPM isn't directly related to the green mode being on for the CPU. When the CPU is stressed, like running a game or an intensive calculation, the fan will speed up because it senses a heat increase on the CPU. For the majority of the time the computer is on, the CPU is basically idling along, not generating but minimal heat and the fan is likely in lowest speed. When the CPU goes Green and reduces its power consumption, the fan is likely already in slow speed and won't change.

To get the best performance of your computer, turn the Green functions off. When you see a board touting its OC ability next to its Green savings - you're looking at two engineering depts working from different perspectives.

Back to OverClocking... If you overclock your CPU or other components, this is really unrelated directly to Green mode. You might increase the base clock speed of the CPU or give it more Voltage, but if Green mode is on, it'll still crank those functions down when it activates.

This explantion is correct to best of my knowledge and is general in scope. Different CPUs and board manufacturers implement different schemes to achieve Green "savings".

October 31, 2009 10:46:18 AM

Thank you for your time and explanation.

Well, first I thought I would examine and analyze the problem in detail, but unfortunately, I do not have enough patience... :)  so I decided to do the simpliest thing - I followed your advice : "TURN THE GREEN FUNCTIONS OFF."

THIS SOLUTION WORKED :
I UNINSTALLED THE "ASUS P6T ENERGY SAVING UTILITY" WHICH IS CALLED "EPU - SYSTEM LEVEL ENERGY SAVING" AND I ALSO UNINSTALLED THE OTHER UTILITY CALLED "TURBO V - SUPER PRECISE TUNINGS".

AFTER RESTART, I TRIED TO COMPRESS THE SAME FILE AGAIN AND THEN I TESTED OTHER FILES, AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH WINRAR ANYMORE.

MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED. THANK YOU... :bounce: 
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 10:51:47 AM

Glad to help and next time a similar question is asked, folks here will remember and solve it right away!

So what's the equilvalent of a CD "coaster" when making a compressed file? A WinMediumRare?
!