Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Silencing a CM 690ii / overclocked 955be

Last response: in Overclocking
March 6, 2011 7:21:56 PM

I'm looking at building a cheap ($800), decent gaming/photo rig in the next year or so. I've selected most of my hardware (tentatively, at least): a Phenom II 955BE, a GTX 460 Twin Frozr, 4gigs of ram. etc, etc.

I've also decided on a case: the Cooler Master 690 II; I like the size and styling. The next item on my planning list is cooling. I'm planning on OCing the 955; reviews have suggested that the CM Hyper 212+ is a good heatsink for the value. What I'm trying to find now are good replacement fans for the case and heatsink. I've got about $50 of budget left, so my question is, should I go for many cheap/loud fans and undervolt them, or a few expensive, high-quality fans?

Fans I've seen:
Cheap: stock (free), Yate Loon D12sh-12 ($7), Arctic cooling 120mm PWM ($10).
High quality: Sharkoon Silent Eagle ($17), Scythe Gentle Typhoon ($16), Akasa Apache/viper ($15)

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 1:34:45 AM

You don't tell us what your MB is. So, I would be curious as to how you plan to "undervolt" the fans to quiet them. It can be done, just how do you plan to do it? Most of the fans you are looking at are 3-pin fans.

And the case you are choosing: it's a great case, no doubt, but, for what you are dong it seems that you could pick any number of cases at just a little over half the price. I mean, do you really need 6 drive bays? 4 external bays? Just asking because at the budget your are quoting, you don't appear to have the drives to fill the empty spaces.

Yes, the hyper 212 is a real good cooler for the space conscience consumer, but you have space to burn. And since it is a foregone conclusion that you will need to OC your CPU to get the gaming you will need, you might want to pick a cooler with more "oomph".

I would suggest dropping the case price, and upping the cooler price. The case will impress your friends, but your performance will impress the world.
The Cooler Master Elite 334 is a beauty. So is the Antec 300.

Newegg has the highly rated Tuniq Tower 120 on a good sale right now! Stick one of those Gently Typhoons on there and you're good to go. Or, go for my fav and spring for a Noctua NF-P12 fan and get great, quiet cooling!
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 5:49:50 PM

Your case choice is excellent btw,i have one which replaced a 300.
It's a big improvement over a 300 imo.
The case fans included with the 690II are fine.
You really don't need more then 3.
I have a 140mm front intake,140mm top exhaust,and the 120mm rear exhaust.
The 212+ is a good cooler choice i have one too.
The fan is a little loud but good quality.
An improvement would be to add two Scythe S-Flex F's or G's.
Thermalright FBD- 1600rpm are nice too.
If you plan on any more case fans i would add 140mm's.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 2:01:01 AM

if you really want it to be silent just move it further away / insulate it / buy quiet fan / dont worry about fancy undervolting just get a fan control(my new nzxt case came with one) / water cooling is super quiet i got a SWEET cooler for 130.
m
l
March 8, 2011 2:51:24 AM

Noworldorder said:
You don't tell us what your MB is. So, I would be curious as to how you plan to "undervolt" the fans to quiet them. It can be done, just how do you plan to do it? Most of the fans you are looking at are 3-pin fans.

And the case you are choosing: it's a great case, no doubt, but, for what you are dong it seems that you could pick any number of cases at just a little over half the price

Yes, the hyper 212 is a real good cooler for the space conscience consumer, but you have space to burn. And since it is a foregone conclusion that you will need to OC your CPU to get the gaming you will need, you might want to pick a cooler with more "oomph".

I would suggest dropping the case price, and upping the cooler price. The case will impress your friends, but your performance will impress the world.
cooling!

I was considering the Biostar TA890GXE, or a similar board from MSI (can't remember the exact model). But considering that I won't be building for another 6mo. or so, I might wait for an AM3+ board, for forward-compatibility :) 

As for undervolting, I though I could switch the 12-volt and 5-volt pins on the molex, though as you point out, most of those fans use a 3-pin connector (I don't really know much about how these things work; this is my first build, and so all of my knowledge comes from reading forums!)

You may be right about the case. One of my considerations was longevity, so the drive bays would be good for future upgrades (TBH, any case I get will likely have the HD cages removed for airflow. I'd rather suspend my HD's anyway :D  ) My main beef with the 300 is the lack of a cooler backplate hole or cable management holes. The 100 adds the holes, but has that uggo molded shelf on top (I suppose it can always be removed :whistle:  ) Perhaps I'll drop to an Antec and pick up a Megahalems or something (Don't take it hard, Davcon - I'm still on the fence!)
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 4:34:07 AM

curious42 said:
I was considering the Biostar TA890GXE, or a similar board from MSI (can't remember the exact model). But considering that I won't be building for another 6mo. or so, I might wait for an AM3+ board, for forward-compatibility :) 

As for undervolting, I though I could switch the 12-volt and 5-volt pins on the molex, though as you point out, most of those fans use a 3-pin connector (I don't really know much about how these things work; this is my first build, and so all of my knowledge comes from reading forums!)

You may be right about the case. One of my considerations was longevity, so the drive bays would be good for future upgrades (TBH, any case I get will likely have the HD cages removed for airflow. I'd rather suspend my HD's anyway :D  ) My main beef with the 300 is the lack of a cooler backplate hole or cable management holes. The 100 adds the holes, but has that uggo molded shelf on top (I suppose it can always be removed :whistle:  ) Perhaps I'll drop to an Antec and pick up a Megahalems or something (Don't take it hard, Davcon - I'm still on the fence!)

The current 300's since 2010 ship out with cpu cut-out and cable management is easily rectified with a steel hole saw.
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ=
Nothing wrong with Antec 300 bro! my main rig is housed in a 902.
Btw the bottom hdd cage in the CM690II is removable.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 11:26:29 AM

curious42 said:
I was considering the Biostar TA890GXE, or a similar board from MSI (can't remember the exact model). But considering that I won't be building for another 6mo. or so, I might wait for an AM3+ board, for forward-compatibility
Hmmmm....well, I suspect many of your choices will change in the 6 months you have allotted yourself because many new products will be out by then and your budget will change for sure.
Your choice of the Biostar TA890GXE confuses me, in that you are going for the GTX460 - why not pick a better board without on-board video? Anything in the MSI line (assuming you stick ~$100 and mATX) also has on-board video.

curious42 said:
99% of us started learning through forums (which takes so much time one needs a understanding wife!)
I like Davcon's suggestion of the Scythe S-flex fans; excellent cost ratio. However, I could never get mine to undervolt...maybe it was just my fan.

Great suggestion about the holesaw, Davcon! When I RMA my P67 Cougar Point for the B3 replacement next month, that is exactly what I had in mind.
m
l
March 10, 2011 5:29:24 AM

Noworldorder said:

And the case you are choosing: it's a great case, no doubt, but, for what you are dong it seems that you could pick any number of cases at just a little over half the price. I mean, do you really need 6 drive bays? 4 external bays? Just asking because at the budget your are quoting, you don't appear to have the drives to fill the empty spaces.

The Cooler Master Elite 334 is a beauty. So is the Antec 300.

Newegg has the highly rated Tuniq Tower 120 on a good sale right now! Stick one of those Gently Typhoons on there and you're good to go. Or, go for my fav and spring for a Noctua NF-P12 fan and get great, quiet cooling!

why is it a foregone conclusion that he will need to OC to get the gaming he will need? any games out there that the 955 wont run stock? cause I havent found any, hell I havent had any games yet that wouldnt run on my old e-6750 as long as you got the ram and graphics card, was just wondering if I was missing out on some cool new game
m
l
March 12, 2011 3:58:19 AM

Best answer selected by curious42.
m
l
!