Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice Phenom II 955/965 BE or i5 CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2009 1:20:36 AM

I would appreciate some good advice on whether to go with an AMD Phenom II X-4 955/965 Black Edition CPU or wait another month and see how the Intel i5 CPU's compare?

I plan on building a new system about the time that Windows 7 comes out and don't want to regret my decision if I can help it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 1:41:29 AM

I'd wait to see how the i5 compares before deciding anything for sure.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 1:58:30 AM

I heard i5 will launch Sunday, dont know if it BS or not but Frys had them listed earlier today so its possible.
m
l
August 14, 2009 1:59:32 AM

GhislainG said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-965,2389..... You can jump right to the last paragraph of the conclusion.

Your link didn't work for some reason. If you are talking about the article here earlier today talking about the Phenom II X-4 965....I read that and that is what has me thinking.
m
l
August 14, 2009 2:09:12 AM

I believe you will be waiting in any case, as the Windows 7 release date is in late October if I'm not mistaken.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 14, 2009 2:15:20 AM

Win 7 comes out after I5, so you'll be waiting either way.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 2:18:28 AM

Win 7 can be had now, you will need to rearm it before you can officially buy your Key but ya you could have t to day and use it for 120 days free.
m
l
August 14, 2009 2:29:02 AM

Please .....I know when the official release of Windows 7 is.....I want to know opinions about the CPU's
m
l
August 14, 2009 2:50:50 AM

i too would wait for the i5's. Im getting ready to put a system together for my brother. He wanted the 940 or 955 since the overall platform will be cheaper. ($800 without monitor and OS). His main use will be heavy Photoshop/ other high CPU programs. I told him that I'll wait for i5's before I start looking for a build for him, since they might be about his price point.
m
l
August 14, 2009 4:59:25 AM

wait for core i5
m
l
August 14, 2009 5:23:23 AM

dpeel said:
Please .....I know when the official release of Windows 7 is.....I want to know opinions about the CPU's

Sorry, I thought you wanted to know this:

Quote:
I would appreciate some good advice on whether to go with an AMD Phenom II X-4 955/965 Black Edition CPU or wait another month and see how the Intel i5 CPU's compare?

Your original question basically said, "Hi I want to build a new computer about 2 months from now, should I buy this CPU now, or wait a couple months to see how this other new CPU is?" which pretty much answers itself.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 6:59:59 AM

Wait for Core i5 as it looks to substantially outperform the 955 or 965.I have a strong feeling that once i5 comes out AMD will have to desperately sell their lesser performing 955/965 quads for under $170 or maybe even $150 and under in a price war (good for us though).
m
l
August 14, 2009 7:45:09 AM

^ no, the 750 has a lower IPC than the i7 920, and the 965 beats the i7 920 in any app which uses up to 4 threads (and in comes quite close in apps when the i7 can spread it's wings).

the 955 is about the same performance as the 750, so I can't really see AMD dropping their prices that much below $200, especially since AMD boards are way cheaper than P55 boards.

And with the 975's release in September, I think we'll be seeing the benchmarks coming very close to the i7 860 and 920.
m
l
August 14, 2009 5:04:40 PM

Well, lets see......how do I respond to this......I did look for articles first of all and secondly I thought this was a forum for people to learn from others......thanks for the response asshole
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
August 14, 2009 5:20:17 PM

If you are waiting until Windows 7 comes out, there should be legitimate comparisons of the CPUs by then, and you'll have actual prices and benchmarks, not just speculation, on which to base your decisions.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 5:26:48 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ no, the 750 has a lower IPC than the i7 920, and the 965 beats the i7 920 in any app which uses up to 4 threads (and in comes quite close in apps when the i7 can spread it's wings).

the 955 is about the same performance as the 750, so I can't really see AMD dropping their prices that much below $200, especially since AMD boards are way cheaper than P55 boards.

And with the 975's release in September, I think we'll be seeing the benchmarks coming very close to the i7 860 and 920.

if the new stuff can turbo up past what the current I7 920s can offer then it may be a moot point that the current 920 can be beaten...

not to mention that when you OC....................... (gona stop here)
m
l
August 14, 2009 6:29:45 PM

Thanks all for your comments. Part of the reason I started this was because I had already ordered new hardware from Newegg. I bought a new case, power supply, motherboard (AM3), DDR3 memory, and AMD Phenom II 955 X-4 Black Edition CPU. Then I happened to read the article here about the new Phenom II 965 just released and the conclusion suggested it might be good to wait on the i5. When I read that I started to have second thoughts. I then started looking for more info and couldn't find what I was looking for and needed to know something fast as I didn't want to regret my purchase in a month or so when the i5 was out.

An update on my purchases from Newegg. This is really a very good company. I have bought stuff from them for years. I decided to keep the case and power supply. They were good enough to take the motherboard and memory back paying the return freight and no restocking charge and I plan to refuse the last order for the CPU. They are really a good company.

I am not an expert on all the latest hardware but want to get the biggest bang for my buck as I can and know there are some real smart people here.

Thanks for your input....I do appreciate it.

I will now wait for the i5 CPU's to come out and read some reviews before I continue. I preordered Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and will have it in late October. I did download the final RC and might unstall on a hard drive I'm not using to play with....maybe see how my other hardware and programs do with it.

The system that I have had for about 4 years has served me well. Asus 8AN-SLI motherboard, AMD X-2 3800+ cpu slightly overclocked to 2.2 , two gig of corsair DDR Memory. I have changed out a few items with this as the core.....had to replace the DVD burner, bought a 1 tb Seagate internal drive, put a EVGA Nvidia 8800 GT video card in.

Over the past 4 years I've had a few problems with hardware and had outstanding support from Asus, Corsair, EVGA, AMD and Newegg....all problems fixed under warranty. I even had my Samsung SyncMaster 204bw replaced under warranty.

Hope I havn't bored too many people, but now you might understand that I want to replace this computer with something I will hopefully be happy with for another 3 to 4 years. I enjoy my system mainly for gaming and video editing along with web surfing. I plan to wait awhile to buy a new video card until the DirectX 11 cards come out.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 7:21:59 PM

If you do a disproportionate amount of video editing, and the i5 is anything at all like the i7, then the i5 will be a very solid choice. This coming from an unbiased, but loyal AMD/ATI guy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 11:36:58 PM

Good move, i'd wait till the prices/benchmarks come out on the i5 and then make a buying decision. Yes, newegg is a quality company.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 4:48:13 PM

Well the current PII 965 matches the I7 920 but is slower overall even with the clock speed advantage in multithreading. When it really shines is in gaming, where the clock speed really shows it's strength. Even if you OC the I7, they will be about the same in gaming. And in non hyperthreading supportive apps I'd still say PII is a better choice. So I fail to see how the I5 will bring a revolution. It is an I7 with all the features that made it faster and architecturally superior than Phenom II disabled. If you have the money, get either the I7 or PII. I5 will be a waste. And new non triple channel I7's are hideously priced. 860 is $300 and works on 2.8 while 870 works on 2.9 and costs $500! I really sometimes wonder are only dummies working at Intel...
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 5:05:21 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
I really sometimes wonder are only dummies working at Intel...

Considering how many people pay the premiums for clock speeds they could reliably accomplish on their own for a fraction of the price, I would say that there are some real marketing geniuses at Intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 5:46:13 PM

[quotemsg=1979939,22,471747 It is an I7 with all the features that made it faster and architecturally superior than Phenom II disabled.

Why did you bump up this thread with this nonsense. The i5 does not have HT and a triple channel IMC. The i7 860 is not hideously priced. Its 300. The 870 is overpriced.
m
l
!