Graphics card for celeron e1200?

taylor138

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I built a computer for a family member about 6 months ago with this processor overclocked to 2.0ghz. The motherboard is an Asus p5gc-mx with integrated graphics. The computer has been great so far, but obviously it's very budget oriented, so games don't run too well. My question is: without upgrading the CPU, would it be worth upgrading to an 8400gs or similar, or would the weak processor be too much of a bottleneck? All we're looking for is playable framerates on low settings for WoW and some source games. WoW is playable right now, but crowded areas really bog the system down.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
List your budget....an 8400GS isn't going to be much of an upgrade....

What is the resolution as well...mind listing all of the specs...such as the psu specs....and ram as well

taylor138

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I'll try my best to remember

Either 200W or 300W PSU
2gb 667mhz ddr2
Asus p5gc-mx Motherboard (video is intel gma 950)
1 HDD and 1 Optical drive
Monitor is 1440x900

I'm only looking for passable performance on games. I'm not too worried about great visuals or high framerates because it won't be used for that purpose too often and I already have a gaming PC here.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Good....now either list the exact name of the psu or its amps on the 12v rail....2gb of ram will be more than enough for wow and source titles..

What is your budget and what is the max you can stretch it etc...let me know ;)

Also list the specs on the overclock...if its just a bump in multi then its fine but if its a vcore increase let me know...

daship

Distinguished
A ATI 3650 or a Nvidia 9400GT would do perfect for what your looking for. I specialize in budget gamers:) I have used both on WoW and neither lag even in Dalaran.

taylor138

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I think I like the 7600GT idea, but would I need to upgrade the PSU as well? I'll be able to check the specs on the power supply, but I know it's not more than 300W.

Also, I don't remember the exact overclock specs - I do remember that the motherboard wasn't very overclock friendly and didn't give many options.

TRENDING THREADS