Media Player Download

August 4, 2005 9:51:18 AM

what is the url for the page where i can get the currently released version
of media player downloaded?
--
HalleluYah

More about : media player download

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:22:02 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 05:51:18 -0700, RobtAR <RobtAR@msn.nospam.com>
wrote:

>what is the url for the page where i can get the currently released version
>of media player downloaded?

For Pocket PC ? The situation is quite complicated.

This link gets you Media player 7.1 :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

It's the last full version available for download, other versions
either come on the PPC supplementary CD (version 8) or are
pre-installed on the OS (versions 9 and 10) and can't be downloaded.

If you have player version 8, there's an update you can download but
AFAIK you need player 8 installed to use it :

It may be possible that this upgrade works to move player 7.1 download
to version 8, but I've never tried it, somebody here might have done.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:22:03 PM

Thank you for your responce. My toshiba 330e came out of the factory with
Windows Media Player 8.5 loaded. But I seem to experience a great number of
crashes. I listen to what I believe are lengthy .wav files, about 35mb,
which I have digitized from an audio cassette tape using Windows Recorder.
Do you believe the privious downloadable version of Media Player (7.1) to be
more stable and less prown to crashes? Please advise, all direction
accepted.

HalleluYah

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 05:51:18 -0700, RobtAR <RobtAR@msn.nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >what is the url for the page where i can get the currently released version
> >of media player downloaded?
>
> For Pocket PC ? The situation is quite complicated.
>
> This link gets you Media player 7.1 :
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>
> It's the last full version available for download, other versions
> either come on the PPC supplementary CD (version 8) or are
> pre-installed on the OS (versions 9 and 10) and can't be downloaded.
>
> If you have player version 8, there's an update you can download but
> AFAIK you need player 8 installed to use it :
>
> It may be possible that this upgrade works to move player 7.1 download
> to version 8, but I've never tried it, somebody here might have done.
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil

August 4, 2005 7:59:54 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:04:11 -0700, RobtAR <RobtAR@msn.nospam.com>
wrote:

>Thank you for your responce. My toshiba 330e came out of the factory with
>Windows Media Player 8.5 loaded. But I seem to experience a great number of
>crashes. I listen to what I believe are lengthy .wav files, about 35mb,
>which I have digitized from an audio cassette tape using Windows Recorder.
>Do you believe the privious downloadable version of Media Player (7.1) to be
>more stable and less prown to crashes? Please advise, all direction
>accepted.

Media player (any version on Pocket PC) can't play .wav files as far
as I'm aware - it only supports .wma, .mp3 and and .wmv files

So you need a better player which supports more file types. The
concensus is the TCPMP (core media player, used to be called
'betaplayer') is the best available on Pocket PC.

Version 0.66 is the most recent and offers MP4 playback as well as a
graphic EQ and multi file type support.

Download it here and have a trouble-free existence :
http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:59:55 PM

I hope the previous misinformation does not confuse, I meant to write wma
files. The files created by Windows recorder from the cassette tapes are
wav, but I sync (convert to wma) them to the Pocket PC device using my laptop
Media Player v10. Could that conversion be a cause for file corruption and
the resulting crashes?
--
HalleluYah

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:04:11 -0700, RobtAR <RobtAR@msn.nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thank you for your responce. My toshiba 330e came out of the factory with
> >Windows Media Player 8.5 loaded. But I seem to experience a great number of
> >crashes. I listen to what I believe are lengthy .wav files, about 35mb,
> >which I have digitized from an audio cassette tape using Windows Recorder.
> >Do you believe the privious downloadable version of Media Player (7.1) to be
> >more stable and less prown to crashes? Please advise, all direction
> >accepted.
>
> Media player (any version on Pocket PC) can't play .wav files as far
> as I'm aware - it only supports .wma, .mp3 and and .wmv files
>
> So you need a better player which supports more file types. The
> concensus is the TCPMP (core media player, used to be called
> 'betaplayer') is the best available on Pocket PC.
>
> Version 0.66 is the most recent and offers MP4 playback as well as a
> graphic EQ and multi file type support.
>
> Download it here and have a trouble-free existence :
> http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download
>
> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 10:03:38 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:19:07 -0700, RobtAR <RobtAR@msn.nospam.com>
wrote:

>I hope the previous misinformation does not confuse, I meant to write wma
>files. The files created by Windows recorder from the cassette tapes are
>wav, but I sync (convert to wma) them to the Pocket PC device using my laptop
>Media Player v10. Could that conversion be a cause for file corruption and
>the resulting crashes?

Maybe, if the files were truncated : There's a distinct limit to the
file size you can sync, sometimes it just gets lost in transfer.

My best shot would be to grab windows media encoder from here :
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...

You might not want to use the full encoder interface (though it's
handy to have !). But when installed, there's a utility called
"Windows media file editor" which allows you to chop up files.

Install, look under the Encoder menu then Utilities and it's listed
there. You can load your audio file and set a mark-in and mark-out
point, say every 10-15 minutes. Chop your file up into 4-5 manageable
bits and sync those to the PPC instead. They may well be fractionally
larger than the original file, but they shouldn't be broken at least.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
!