audit event for dial up internet connection in Xp pro

Aken

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

how can i generate event log for all the dial up connection made by the user in a domain environment (win 2000 server and win xp clients) where 1 dial up connection (in client) is used by more then 30 persons. to keep check on who uses internet and for how long, at what time etc etc...

is there any inbuilt funtion in the OS to tract these activities or should one go for third party tools, if any. pls suggest.

aken wrote:
> how can i generate event log for all the dial up connection made by
> the user in a domain environment (win 2000 server and win xp clients)
> where 1 dial up connection (in client) is used by more then 30
> persons. to keep check on who uses internet and for how long, at what
> time etc etc...
>
> is there any inbuilt funtion in the OS to tract these activities or
> should one go for third party tools, if any. pls suggest.

Find an application to write your event log out and parse it for you or
write a script to do this.

--
<- Shenan ->

It's in the event log.

http://www.smh.com.au/yoursay/2004/06/11/index.html
"aken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28478424-3697-4787-8A11-925E859FBDDC@microsoft.com...

> how can i generate event log for all the dial up connection made by the user in a domain environment (win 2000 server and win xp clients) where 1 dial up connection (in client) is used by more then 30 persons. to keep check on who uses internet and for how long, at what time etc etc...
>
> is there any inbuilt funtion in the OS to tract these activities or should one go for third party tools, if any. pls suggest.

Select the System Log.Right click and choose Properties. Choose Filter tab and select Remote Access in the source box. 20159 is disconnect and 20158 is connect. Choose Ok and you can read it.

Then Right Click, Export, csv file, then import into Excel. Sort on Event and delete all those not 20159/8.

Then you can sort on time and date. You can write formulas to pull out what you want.