Installing a second PCI-E card (not SLI)

stewbond

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hi All, Long time reader, first time poster.

I am trying to add a second PCI-E video card to my system so I can add a third monitor (TV) and I am unable to get the second video card working.

In the Device Manager, my Device status for the new VC says: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

I think this indicates that my MoBo is not set up correctly and no memory is being assigned to the new VC. I went into the BIOS and tried to set all options that may affect this (except for SLI). The message would not disappear

I updated my NVIDIA driver and ensured that it applied to both VCs. No dice. I have also tried to force detection of a TV on bootup from the NVIDIA control panel.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

MoBo: ASUS M2N-E SLI
VC1: GeForce 8600 GTS (PCI-E)
VC2: GeForce 8400 GS (PCI-E)
VC1 is feeding two monitors
VC2 will be feeding one LCD TV

Note: I am NOT using SLI as this does not support 3 monitors.

Note2: I am also a Debian Gnome user, so if you have any ideas of how to modify the xorg.conf, I'm listening. TwinView is currently used but I don't know how to add a second device to it.

Thanks in advance!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It actually sounds like the motherboard might be set to the wrong transfer mode for the second slot. See if there are any PCIe lane width controls in BIOS.

Also, SLI is a software setting, if BIOS or the manual say something about configuring SLI it actually means "two-card" mode.

stewbond

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately my BIOS has no PCIe lane width controls. The only options related to the VCs are the SLI mode which I have now set to "two-card" mode and the boot device (PCI or PCIe).

I am fairly sure it is a memory allocation issue, something which I do not know how to manually set. (screenshot below).

Untitled.jpg

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I am trying to set up a very similar deal on my desktop. I have a gts 250 running 2 monitors and it works great but I want to add a 40in plasma to the mix and want to hand of the processes to a 7800gtx card that I just upgraded from.

I have an ASUS A8N-sli deluxe board. When I tried this last night I was able to get the OS to see the card and it said (little popup) that it was installed and ready to go but I was never able to get the monitor it was hooked to to turn on.

The MoBo i'm using has a funny little PCB board between the 2 PCIE slots that needs to be poped out and turned around to allow using 2 cards. The issues with this is in the lit that came with the MoBo says this should be turned around if using SLI. I do not want to use SLI so i have only tried using it in the 2 card configuration and not the 1 card.

My first attempt failed but I am going to try again setting it up a little differently. If you have any luck please let me Know I do not want to purchase a 2nd GTS250 yet, if I can avoid it.

Irish

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Read the earlier response and flip that flipping card over. When you put the selector card in "SLI", it has nothing to do with SLI.

SLI is set by the graphics DRIVER, not some flipping selector card. Flipping the selector card to "SLI" only changes the lanes from x16/x1 to x8/x8, and you need to do that to run two graphics cards properly.

I'll tell you what: Take a piece of white tape and put it over the word "SLI", then write on the piece of tape "two graphics cards". Then when you flip the card the right way, it will be in "two graphics cards" mode.

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
LOL ty Crash, I needed a good laugh today and I just about wet myself. I will try it that way when I get home and see if that works. It is one method I have not tired.

Irish

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
SO,

It works and performance is way up during gaming and Video rendering. I use the GTS250 with a 22in for most applications and now I use the 7800GTX for a 19in and eventually a 40in plasma as soon as I get it fixed.

Oh and Crash the PCB card between the 2 PCI e slots only says 1 graphics card and 2 graphics cards SO no need for the tape job or a little White out.

Thanks for the Help guys

Irish

[:mousemonkey:3] Shhweeet, all hail the Crashman [:mousemonkey:1] , I'm glad it worked out for you Irish, peace out bro.