Sign in with
Your question

MSI 790FX-GD70 + SD reader?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 29, 2009 12:00:23 AM

i have recently built my new system successfully and this is probably a dumb question, but i have a sd reader i bought from best buy for my old system, and it worked fine in my old system, but when i tried hooking it up to the new computer, it is not working. im wondering if i have it plugged into the wrong spot. could some one please tell me where its suppose to be plugged in? i cant imagine that it got corrupted during the switch out.. but then again, who knows. i most likely have it plugged in wrong :p  sorry to bother with this stupid question but ive google searched this issue and cant find a good explanation anywhere online and i cant find anything in the manual about it.

More about : msi 790fx gd70 reader

a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2009 12:18:30 AM

Does Windows recognize that you've added a device when you plug in the reader? That is, if you plug it in after system is fully loaded, does it make a sound and show the new device, recognized or not?
m
l
October 29, 2009 12:32:37 AM

no, i always turn the computer off and get it away from power while i mess with anything on the motherboard lol. i have tried plugging it into two different spots that has the right amount of pins and neither has worked for me, windows is not recognizing any devices. am i suppose to be plugging this into the IEEE1394 connector or JCOM1 or some other area i am missing?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2009 1:24:49 AM

I was assuming this was a USB reader? LOL, don't just plug it in anywhere!

What kind of interface does it have? Is it designed to plug in internally only? Got any spec sheet or other info on it?
m
l
October 29, 2009 3:40:56 PM

you know what, i believe i have it now.. unless both my usb headers are full, i thought they were.. hmm will have to take a look at it.. i guess they were full and i wasnt considering that as an option.. lol.. i will take another look when i get home. http://www.reviewdesk.com/dynex-card-reader/2/
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2009 6:20:23 PM

OK, so this is a USB reader, but it's designed to plug into the motherboard's USB header pins! Normally, you'd be plugging a external USB port extension into those "extra" USB headers on the motherboard. It also uses the 2x5 type USB header found on most motherboards. The plug should be "idiot-proof" with a filled space in one of the pins. I assume the wiring from the device is 10 pins? Well, maybe it's 5 pin.

And yes, always turn the computer OFF when messing with it!

Not really a warm review of the reader on that page!

OK, here's a picture of a two USB port rear extension using a 2x5 plug. Note that each of these uses only one side of the USB header. Examine the USB header description in your motherboard manual. The 10 pins (2x5 or 2 rows of 5 pins) is divided into two identical 1x5 USB connectors. The last pin of each side is not used... Pins 9 and 10. Pin 9 is the missing pin. That tells you which end of the header Pin 1 is on - the opposite end as the missing pin. So Pin 1 and 2 are the same... Pin 3 and 4 are the same, etc... Pin 1/2 is 5V.... Pin 7/8 is Ground. You should be able to see on the Dynex devices wiring how to plug it in... The red or yellow wire goes on Pin 1... the Black wire on Pin 7.

Your motherboard USB header should look like this
m
l
October 30, 2009 2:12:02 AM

how frustrating :(  i think my reader is corrupt, because i plugged it in 1-7 just like you said and windows isnt picking it up still.. this is old, im starting to wonder if its not vista/7 compatible... when i tried using my original dvd to install drivers for it to see if that would help, it said i needed at least windows xp service pack 1.... lol. i just finished reading up on a rocketfish reader that i can pick up tomorrow when i get home, or i could try this rosewill ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) out for the same price..it will also make up for the 2 usb ports in the front i will be missing out on.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 2:53:12 AM

Looks like the Rosewill would be a good choice. And maybe it won't beat up on the cards the way the reviewer said this one did!

That one uses all 10 pins, so can't plug it in wrong. Make sure your media are supported by it. It also gives you a eSATA if you plug it into your SATA on motherboard. Not a bad deal for $20 and free shipping.
m
l
October 30, 2009 10:56:02 AM

yeah i think so too. i have to order a 120mm fan for my case anyway so i might as well place both orders today :p  thank you for your help. im just gona toss the dynex lol
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 10:22:10 PM

Sounds great! LOL, I was gonna say mail it to me then thought, so what do I need with a SD reader that A) likely doesn't work B) scratches up the modules! Like I don't have enough drawers and boxes full of computer junk!
m
l
!