P55M-UD4 - Windows 7 not detecting my SATA drive

Last response: in Motherboards
October 29, 2009 1:08:08 AM

Hi!

Here`s what I`m trying to build:

- Gigabyte Motherboard P55M-UD4 - BIOS version f4h
- Intel i5-750
- OCZ DDR3 2x2GB, 1600
- Western Digital 6401AALS - Caviar Black ( SATA )
- Saphire Radeon 4770 ( PCIE16 )
- NEC DVD drive ( IDE )
- Windows 7

Computer is booting Windows 7 from the DVD drive.
At some point, I have to specify on which drive I want to install the OS.
But they are none detected by the OS.

The problem is because Windows 7 cannot see my SATA drive. ( Western Digital 6401AALS )
I have changed many times the BIOS configuration in the Integraded Peripherals menu without success.

Can someone please, with a similar build of mine tell me how to configure the BIOS
options to have the hard drive detected by windows 7.

If I go in the repair option menu of Windows 7 and launch a DOS window, I can see and format my hard drive.

Thanks in advance
October 29, 2009 1:22:48 AM

Can you see the BIOS detected the HDD on POST screen and also inside BIOS?
What mode did you set for the HDD? Is it in RAID or AHCI mode? Which SATA port did you connect your HDD to?
November 14, 2009 4:33:16 AM

The real problem: Windows 7 does not let you use FDISK in the command line to partition your drive. It lets you format it, but not specify where files may be written.

The fix (1): Put in a windows xp cd (32 or 64 bit doesn't matter). Let it load the files, etc... until it brings you to the installation media screen. Create your partitions however you need- and once they're set put in your Windows 7 CD (or Vista) and restart.

You will see your available partitions in the installer now- and even from there you can resize, delete or do whatever you wish to them.

The fix(2?): You may also be able to plug the hard drive into a computer running XP or Vista and partition it through there as well. I haven't tried this, but don't see why it wouldn't work, either. The same goes for where I said "put in a windows xp cd" you may also be able to use a windows 2000 disc, but I haven't tried that either.
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 14, 2009 4:29:26 PM

Burn GPartEd iso to disk - will make a bootable partition editor that handles NTFS:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-l...
Do no use any other allocation unit than default 4k, as (I believe) 7 will not install to anything else (it will let you move your swap to a different AllocUnitSize, but there is no advantage - the swap file is 4k 'granular', any larger unit simply forces the disk controller to read/write more than it has to...)
November 15, 2009 6:03:32 PM

Thank you all for your support, the issue is now fixed.

The technician of the store where I bought the hard drive told me that something was wrong in the partition table. The size was bigger than the maximum size of the hard drive. He fixed it with a tool.

I still have one more question,

Now, that I have succeeded to install Windows 7 on my hard drive, I want to add another hard drive exactly the same model and create a RAID 1 array for redundancy.

However, it seems that I'm going to lost all the Windows 7 installation during the process of creating this configuration.

Gigabyte BIOS RAID menu is printing a warning that everything will be lost during the creation of the new volume. Is there a way to setup RAID 1 mode without losing everything on your master hard drive ?

Thanks

November 15, 2009 7:48:14 PM

I don't think so-- however, I have no first-hand experience with RAID 1. There may be a way to do so, but it will probably be a lot more work than it would be to just reinstall Windows 7 and get your data back in place. Sorry, and best of luck!

Edit: One thing you could try is to get Acronis and make an image of that drive first. Back it up somewhere (network accessible) and go ahead and clear your drives/set up RAID1. Boot from Acronis after your RAID1 is set up, and reinstate your image. Hopefully this works, and then you're good to go.
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 15, 2009 8:00:00 PM

Quote:
Gigabyte BIOS RAID menu is printing a warning that everything will be lost during the creation of the new volume. Is there a way to setup RAID 1 mode without losing everything on your master hard drive ?

NO!

Buy a pair of drives (they're dirt cheap, these days...) Join them as RAID1s, and keep all your data on them, separated completely from your operating system; that way. if you have a severe OS crash, or need, for technical reasons, to reinstall 7, your data will never again be affected by your operating system, and, it will be automatically backed up...
!