Radeon 4770- newbie could use some help...

cypher220

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
This is kindav long, but I tried to add as much detail as possible in order to recieve an accurate solution to the problem. If anyone could provide a solution then that would be absolutely amazing!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a new graphics card yesterday (Saphire Radeon 4770), and after I got it in the case and got the drivers installed (from the disk), just a few problems started to occur once I tried to play games. Originally the moniter would just shut down and go into ''power saving mode'', and I would be forced to restart the pc. After messing with a bunch of settings, the games would shut down and I would get an error message saying ''VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands'' with the options to send an error report or not to under it.

This is the first time I have changed or added hardware to my pc, so I really have no idea what to do. I did go to ATI's website to download the drivers, but that didnt seem to help. What I did download was the Full Catalyst Control Center Suite, since besid it it said to download that if you need both the drivers and ccc.
(http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx)

When I was installing the card, It came with a wire (power wire I think)
and an extra adapter type thing. Since we did figure out that it was a
power wire, but couldnt figure out where one end of it went, we just
put one of the extra power wires that was laying around in the pc
onto the card. The one we plugged in was the same kind that came in
the box, but the other side just went straight to the psu. Could this
have anything to do with the problem?

While I was still having the ''going into power saving mode'' problem,
someone else took a shot at fixing it. I think he did download the
drivers again, could this of had any effect on the problem?

Like I mentioned, this is my first hardware change. And with all these
problems not letting me play games, I'm getting really annoyed at
all of it even though it's probably something really stupid I'm missing.
A solution would be extremely appreciated!

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Weird, I didn't think they would even have the pci-e connector but apparently they do.

The little wire that came with it was a molex to 6 pin pci-e converter. You didn't do anything wrong there.

Try out Driver Sweeper and re-install your drivers.

cypher220

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

No I didn't. Could this be a problem?

And my old card was a Nvidia Geforce 6150LE.

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Is the 6150LE integrated graphics? If so you may need to enter your motherboards bios and make sure pci-e is set as your primary graphics adapter. You may be able to disable your on board graphics in the bios as well, so look around for that option.

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
We need the specs first be4 we go RmA this card. for all that i know its his psu being to weak thus making the pc go to a stop thus not sending any video feed. Wich makes the monitor believe the pc is shutting down. so that could ecplain a bunch of things