ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
My specs are as follows
Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6GHz
MOBO: ASUS M4A78T-E
GPU: PNY GTX 260 core 216
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 (with an Excalibur fan)
Case: Cooler Master Sniper
Memory: (4GB DDR3) A-DATA Gaming Series

I have finished over clocking my Black Edition CPU and I want to overclock my Northbridge now. I realize I'm going to have to change some voltages somewhere in the process so my question is this...Which voltage setting should I touch? There are two different voltage settings in my BIOS. One is named "CPU/NB voltage" and the other is just named "NB voltage". I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. I just want to know what each one does and what I should do to overclock my Northbridge.

In order to O.C. the Northbridge your going to want to use the CPU/NB Voltage one.Overclocking the NB can help speed up the comunnication process between the CPU and your RAM.With a successful O.C. of the NB will result in faster RAM.It's good idea to O.C. your NB but are you sure you happy with 3.6GHZ?I'm sure that processor can go much further...Normally you can achieve anywhere from 300-400mhz without even uping the voltage.I'm sure you can get a little more out of that CPU.

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Ahh ok. So what does that NB voltage do? Is it relevant for overclocking the Northbridge? Oh, I know it can go faster. That's just all I could get out of it with a cpu vid @ 1.45v... It does seem pretty low, I must say. :(

Seems like it just be way faster at 1.45volt.Thats actually very high for that chip.Stock is 1.325 so i'm thinking it should be around 1.375~1.4 at your speed right now.

I do not know what the NB volt is for,i only know that when your O.C.ing the NB you use the CPU NB volt.I've tryed O.C.ing with the NB with the NB volt but it wouldn't even boot.Had to clear/reset the BIOS to default.Make sure you know how to do that just in case.It happened to me and i didn't know what to do.

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

I'll take that into strong consideration because I've been told the same thing a bunch of times by other people and I've seen what some other overclockers are able to achieve with similar setups and voltages...They don't match my achievements. Probably just haven't set something correctly.

Anyways, thanks for the help with the NB overclocking. You've been more helpful to me than anyone I've ever tried to ask. haha And yeah, I know how to do that. Thanks again!!!

the NB VID is for the Onchip L3 and Memory controller
- NB vid can increase 1.1750 maksimum and standard 1.150 don' too much can blow
- NB FID : it's around 800MHz - 2000MHz but when overclock can get 2800
- HT link at : 2000 or auto follow NB FID

CPU NB voltage is the motherboard chipset voltage.
- CPU NB can increase till 1.3 (hot) and depend on cooler Northbridge
always control temperature below 57C when play game. use hw monitor

note: when you add voltage CPU NB then the CPU also needs high voltage.

i use this for overclock my VGA onboard ! :D

if don't understand read this guide :

Status
Not open for further replies.