Sign in with
Your question

Backup

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2011 8:55:10 PM

Hello,
can I back up the local disc or just the recovery disc?I have Windows Vista. I just want to know before purchasing the external hard drive,because If I can back up only the recovery disc I just need 11gb. Thank you very much for your reply in advance.

More about : backup

a b G Storage
January 1, 2011 9:11:52 PM

You can backup your local drive to another drive or external drive. I would recommend using Acronis. It is easy to use and you can do a full backup or incremental backup. Just remember that you cannot save the backup file on the same drive that is been backed up.

The recovery discs usually needed to be burned when you buy a computer. The information is stored in the hard drive (hidden partition). Most computers(Dell, HP, Sony, Acer,etc) have a special utility to create these recovery discs.
a b G Storage
January 1, 2011 9:12:20 PM

There are programs that can make a perfect copy of any partition, including the OS partition. In that case, you will need an HDD that is at least the size of the one being copied (cloned). then, in case of disaster, just pop in the replacement HDD and your system is good to go.
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 1, 2011 9:24:40 PM

I agree with electrontau, Acronis True Image works great. You could also use Windows Backup to create a system image.
a c 170 G Storage
January 2, 2011 1:50:30 AM

ma ro said:
Hello,
can I back up the local disc or just the recovery disc?I have Windows Vista. I just want to know before purchasing the external hard drive,because If I can back up only the recovery disc I just need 11gb. Thank you very much for your reply in advance.

1) You will be hard pressed to find an external hard drive sized anywhere near 11gb.

2) Backup programs will compress the data, so your external space will be somewhat less.

3) You can backup whatever it will be painful to lose or recover. Sometimes just copying your photos to a usb drive might be sufficient.
a b G Storage
January 3, 2011 3:56:38 AM

At the very least, back up your user folder. Your user folder contains all of your stuff (documents, favorites, photos, videos, etc.)
!