Fix disabled usb port?

cduval04

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
hey...yesterday I dropped my netbook (acer aspire one) on a wood floor only from about a foot and a half but it got a good bump. it landed right on its left side. it works fine, other than that one the the usb ports on the right side, proabably b/c of gravity, its little black tab thingie got pushed into the computer. If I plug in a device and push real hard I can get it to recognize it but it just says "power surge on USB port" and then of course when I let up on pushing it just stops recognizing it. I tried pulling it back out with tweezers but couldnt get a good enought grip on it.

I am a 6th year IT major, but I stink with hardware (kind of intimidating to me) I am very good with software, but that does not help me in this situation. I know people who could open the comp and try to fix it but my question is, is this fixable? If someone opens the case and pushes it back into place, what are the odds it would work again? does that power surge message mean the port is doomed, even if someone pushes it back into place? I just want to know if its even worth trying...also, would it be considered a novice, intermediate or advanced "hardware project" in terms of difficulty? (just trying to determine who to ask)

thanks! no biggie, but I would like to ave 3 working usb ports instead of 2.

also, just curious, I bought this comp as a refurb from tigerdirect.com in march (has treated me very well) I checked the warranty and it expired 8 months ago. Does acer repair with no warranty coverage? I know dell does, but you just have to pay alot more that with coverage? do you think this would be a job under $100 if I sent it to acer without warranty coverage? (the netbook was only 240 so I dont want to ut too much into it, but that is the only thing that is wrong with it (also happened b/c of me, not a defect) and it is only 5 months old)