Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OC'ing Q6600 and psu question

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 7, 2011 1:45:46 AM

Hello

I am going to overclock my Dell XPS 420 Q6600 cpu. I am going to use the tape mod.

It has a 375 watt psu and I am running a GTS 250, 1HD, 1 DVD RW drive. Will oc'ing the cpu pull too much power from the psu?

More about : ing q6600 psu question

a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 2:04:50 AM

The dell 420 is bios locked cannot oc , cannot increase multiplier Q6600.
March 7, 2011 2:49:45 AM

henydiah said:
The dell 420 is bios locked cannot oc , cannot increase multiplier Q6600.


I am doing the tape pin mod which works. I need to know if my psu is going to be ok with the oc'ing.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 3:01:07 AM

ok you will get now.
replace the PSU with 650 watts of corsairs (very enough for GTS 250). minimum Corsair VX 550Watt but it dangerous becarefull. it's own your Risk
March 7, 2011 3:49:23 AM

henydiah said:
ok you will get now.
replace the PSU with 650 watts of corsairs (very enough for GTS 250). minimum Corsair VX 550Watt but it dangerous becarefull. it's own your Risk


You mean dangerous because can burn out the board and cpu? That is ok, will build a SB soon.

My games are slow and shuttering. Wow shutters, Starcraft 2.

I have read many people have a stable Dell cpu with the tape mod
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 3:07:09 PM

Yeah build sb is better, I know some people (not too much) have lucky use this tap mod , once again keep , if you get new psu I recommend, but no overclock.
glish
many people think with a little guidance can already
feel you can, if you do that without accompanied by
an expert so.. hopefully your computer will be fine.
March 7, 2011 6:09:17 PM

henydiah said:
Yeah build sb is better, I know some people (not too much) have lucky use this tap mod , once again keep , if you get new psu I recommend, but no overclock.
glish
many people think with a little guidance can already
feel you can, if you do that without accompanied by
an expert so.. hopefully your computer will be fine.


I need to make cpu faster, cant buld SB until Apritl or May. Some of the games I want require a faster cpu. Will get better psu.
a c 101 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 8:33:30 PM

The BSEL tape mod from 2.4GHz to 3GHz will raise the Q6600's maximum power consumption by around 33 Watts. That would equate to around 2.75 Amps more from the +12 Volt rail(s).

A reference clocked GeForce GTS 250 will draw a maximum of 12.5 Amps from the +12 Volt rails under full GPU load. Overclocking this graphics card will of course increase power consumption.

I would guess your maximum current draw from the +12 Volt rails for your system to be around 26 Amps under full CPU and GPU load (i.e. assuming GPU is not overclocked).

The Dell KH624 375 Watt power supply is able to provide a maximum of 30 Amps from the combined dual +12 Volt rails.

This doesn't give you much headroom to overclock the graphics card.

You may be able to get by without upgrading the 375 Watt power supply unit if it's the Dell KH624.
March 7, 2011 9:24:01 PM

ko888 said:
The BSEL tape mod from 2.4GHz to 3GHz will raise the Q6600's maximum power consumption by around 33 Watts. That would equate to around 2.75 Amps more from the +12 Volt rail(s).

A reference clocked GeForce GTS 250 will draw a maximum of 12.5 Amps from the +12 Volt rails under full GPU load. Overclocking this graphics card will of course increase power consumption.

I would guess your maximum current draw from the +12 Volt rails for your system to be around 26 Amps under full CPU and GPU load (i.e. assuming GPU is not overclocked).

The Dell KH624 375 Watt power supply is able to provide a maximum of 30 Amps from the combined dual +12 Volt rails.

This doesn't give you much headroom to overclock the graphics card.

You may be able to get by without upgrading the 375 Watt power supply unit if it's the Dell KH624.


Thanks

If I dont oc but add a 2nd 400g SATA 1 drive, is that ok?
I will check the psu.

a c 101 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 9:35:00 PM

g335 said:
Thanks

If I dont oc but add a 2nd 400g SATA 1 drive, is that ok?
I will check the psu.

With no overclocking adding a second hard disk drive should be no problem at all.

The hard disk drive, depending on its make and model, will typically draw around 0.49 Amps from the +12 Volt rails and 0.5 Amps from the +5 Volt rail while it's performing a Read/Write operation.
March 7, 2011 9:40:31 PM

ko888 said:
With no overclocking adding a second hard disk drive should be no problem at all.

The hard disk drive, depending on its make and model, will typically draw around 0.49 Amps from the +12 Volt rails and 0.5 Amps from the +5 Volt rail while it's performing a Read/Write operation.


So I will do the pin mod and add the 2nd hd.

Thanks
March 7, 2011 11:38:27 PM

If you do the mod and add a hdd you really should get a better PSU.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 10:32:37 PM

The tape mod will not increase CPU power consumption. The tape mod reprograms the CPU pins that select the FSB. That has no effect on the pins that program the power regulator on the motherboard.

Based on actual measurements Q6600 in a GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard:
stock speed, VID = 1.2625 volts, the motherboard power regulator pulled 8.0 amps from the CPU power plug.
3.6 GHz, CPU voltage = 1.425 volts, power regulator pulled 9.5 amps.
Both values under Prime95 load.

A GTS250 will typically pull 9 amps peaking to 12 amps. So worst case CPU/GPU load will be around 22 amps. Although your PSU will not have much power in reserve, it is adequate for an overclocked CPU, stock clocked GPU, and an extra harddrive.
March 9, 2011 10:37:34 PM

This is my point no head room and if your going to run something gpu and cpu intensive at the same time I am not sure of the 12v rail out put on that PSU also I have read 3 different values after goolging it
!