Possible To Overclock Regular GTX 570?

Jus136

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have a regular EVGA GTX 570, no factory overclock or special heat sink, is it possible to overclock it safely?

It is certainly possible.

However, I would advise against increasing the GPU voltage. The power system of reference GTX 570 cards is insufficient for over-volting.

See what you can get using the default voltage on your card, and that should be fine to run as a daily overclock. The default clocks are 732/1464/1900, and you can probably get around 800/1600/2000.

iac31

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Leaps and Shadows is correct,I have the Evga standard version and just oc'd it to their Super clock version.
They can go prety high I consider the OC specs a mild overclock.
Just make sure you dont leave then fan on auto cus it will get hot,like 80+.
I have Evga precision tool and set the fan to change speeds with temps..50c/50%..60c/60%...70c/70%..never goes above 70c

Testing indicates that:
1) overclocking is minimal (max 5%)
2) cards are not identical (2% may be max for some)
3) overclocking is definitely not safe

The general consensus is overclocking most graphics cards is definitely not recommended. The best overclocking is done by manufacturers who use more advanced voltage stabilization and cooling techniques and even then they can only usually manage fairly small overclocks.

I've seen several cards that cost a significant premium for overclocking when the same price on a better, stock card meant better value.

Summary:
Overclocking is generally not safe and not recommended. Even very small overclocks can drastically reduce the life span of a card.

iac31

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Nice card you have there Psysho,but can you explain your comment.I have the Evga reference card and see no problems with it,overclocked it to Evga's super clocked specs and runs great.You make it sound like its a Palit card with un-stable overclocks or something.

If it uses the reference GTX 570 design with four power phases, do not over-volt it. If you do, it will blow one of the power regulation chips, as the power design of the reference cards sucks.

Get a card with a non-reference design, like the Palit GTX 570 Sonic or Sonic Platinum. They have six phases for the GPU and two phases for the RAM. There are others that have five phases, and those are pretty good too.

iac31

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for clarifing Psycho's comment.I did not know that,good thing I dont mess with the volts.So basicly reference cards ok for mild OC's, got it.

I have seen listings for dead MSI GTX 570s in this OCN thread, so I wouldn't raise the voltage at all. The reference four-phase power system can't handle it, so a MOSFET or two blows up.

See what you can get from the stock voltage and be happy with that. If you do want to push it at your own risk, don't go above 1.075v. Most of them have died at around 1.1v.

Other boards like the Palit Sonic and Sonic Platinum, as well as the ASUS DirectCU II have six power phases for the GPU plus two for the RAM, so can actually handle more voltage. Some boards also have five power phases, so those can work with more voltage than standard also.

jonb23

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
unfortunately they dont stock the directcu where im getting it from. and im only getting a 570 cos my old card broke within a year and they couldnt replace it cos they no longer stock the model, so i got a 570 as a replacement. the directcu would have been cool though, but not too bothered. the 570 merks my old 5870 anyway.

timburr

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

i have a GTX 570 ref. with the lifetime warrenty an so far im playn metro 2033overclocked at 834 1668 and i leave the ram alone cause its usless to OC and also with the auto fan set to my pref i never get above 70c on ne thing and i have my old BFG max core gtx 260 for phsyx so that also increase my heat but ne ways i havnt messed with volt settings and still get 100% stable OC my advice would to be keep increasing ur OCs till u start getting artifacts its not gonna mess up the card it might crash the hole system once but then ull no what u can push it to and also if u have a lifetime warrenty who would car and ppl talkin about lossing life span well if u increase volts thatll happen and if the card hits 80c or more and stays there awhile itll also shortn life and dont let ne body else tell u other wise considering ive been doing this since the voodoo 2 cards came out in 97.......