Comp freeze in game

Marstery23

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello, I overclocked my intel 2.4ghz to 2.6ghz and I got the blue screen so I reset and it went back to 2.4. when I played games the computer froze after 10mins. or so. I was told to reset the bios, so I took the battery out for 15min and it reset. I thought it was fixed but it wasnt, it just takes longer to freeze but still does.

- Looks like a lack of power from the PSU and you do not know what PSU you have.
need power for VGA in order to play the game to be stable and large, because the PSU is also used for other hardware.
- and Ram have also tested with memtest86, preferably at the time of test Ram in a state of default.
- if you have a GPU and CPU Oc software uninstall it in Safemode

- software can also cause problems, if you use the VGA driver updates sometimes do not match the VGA
- and whether the software has installed the latest DirectX

Start with this:

1) run Memtest for two hours at least
2) Lower your CPU and RAM to the lowest settings in your BIOS
3) use a CPU/Memory stresser like Orthos

Bring your CPU and Memory speeds up in increments. I'd probably start with the lowest setting at first to confirm no issues but jump to 80% next if no problems arise. (keep the default voltage settings).

What happened?
It's possible overclocking your CPU slightly weakened it so when you lowered the speed again you still had problems. In this case a lower speed may help.

Also, if it's an issue with a weakened CPU a better heatsink will help (larger heatsink with 120mm fan).

Other:
If I had to choose RAM vs CPU I'd guess RAM. Many systems overclock the RAM when you overclock the CPU. Because RAM does not have the same cooling they tend to burn out much easier.

It's difficult to figure out if your RAM of the CPU is the issue. It's possible to lower the RAM speed while keeping the CPU speed but that's hard to discuss here.

Ideally you would use different RAM but you could also try removing all but a single stick of RAM (and switch). It's possible both sticks are damaged.

Memtest:
this will tell you how fast your RAM operates. your BIOS may also tell you. Keep this in mind while troubleshooting.

Summary:
- probably RAM, possibly CPU
- underclock, retest then raise speeds of CPU and RAM
- if a certain speed recreates the failure, lower the speed of the RAM ONLY to see if RAM is the issue
- try one stick of RAM at a time (see motherboard manual as usually RAM configurations are very specific such as ONLY a specific slot works for a single RAM stick)

*I'll help more if you're still out of luck. Troubleshooting this type of problem can be tecious and confusing.

UPDATE:

You took the battery out and it reset?

If you mean the MAIN battery and not the tiny watch battery on the motherboard then you did nothing to affect the BIOS.

Resetting the BIOS settings is usually done by either of these methods:
1) flashing the BIOS (usually to a newer version)
2) "clearing the CMOS" (laptops have a HOLE which you insert a pin into. See your MANUAL)
3) removing the motherboard battery.
4) entering the BIOS and choosing the option to RESET TO DEFAULT (probably an F key such as F12)

The easiest method is #4.

Resetting the BIOS may also change other settings you did not want changed. Probably this is minor for a laptop. You should at least see if FAN CONTROL is an option which can be changed in the BIOS. Again, usually they limit the options in laptops and I doubt FAN CONTROL in laptops is optional.

OTHER:
Another troubleshooting tool is to run LINUX and find a CPU/RAM stress tool for it. You can create an Ubuntu CD and run directly off the CPU. If Memtest passes (uses neither Linux or Windows) and your CPU passes a Linux stress test this suggest you have a software problem which may mean Windows or even your hard drive is at fault.

Since your problem occurred after overclocking your problem is still mostly likely:
1) CPU or RAM hardware failure, or
2) your settings were not reset in your BIOS properly as you thought.