Sign in with
Your question

System Crashes while playing Crysis.

Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2009 6:06:45 AM

Hi all,
I need a little help, i recently upgraded my rig.
Config:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Mobo: ASUS M3N78-EM
RAM: OCZ 800Mhz Gold
PSU: 500 watt VIP GOLD
Graphics: XFX 9800 GT 512mb
Case: Cooler master Elite 335

I am not able to OC my processor even to 3.4 GHz, it crashes when i play Crysis on this OC. I used the 7% OC profile mode in bios for this.everything else is on auto. i tried enabling and disabling Cool n Quite in Bios.
If i dont play game then it will run smoothly.
Also the temprature of my proccessor remains at around 42-48 dgree Cel. but while playing Crysis it goes beyond 55-59. This is all on stock cooler.

Also my GPU always run on 70 plus dgree Cel all the time and while playing the Crysis, it goes above 75.This is also on stock cooler.

So can you suggest me what is causing the system crash.

And also plz suggest the good solution for the problem.

Thanks in advance.

And i am really sorry for posting this here but i couldnt figure out where else to post this.

a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 6:27:22 AM

Does it crash at stock speeds? Try setting everything back to default and test your game.

The GPU temp seems normal. I think those cards are like the 8800GTX's and run hot enough to cook your breakfast. If you don't mind another upgrade you can go with the GTX 260 or 275 cards as these will give you a decent performance boost and run much cooler.

As far as the CPU temps, did you use the factory paste that came with the stock cooler? You may want to consider getting Arctic Silver 5 and maybe even a decent aftermarket heatsink if the new thermal paste doesn't do the trick.

Also, be sure you have the latest video card drivers installed as well. After your system recovers from the BSOD do you not get a pop up that suggests what the error was caused from?

If not, try to see what the BSOD error code is on the blue screen after it crashes and google it to see what it means.

Try to get your system where you can game at stock speeds then go from there to fix your OC issue...
August 14, 2009 6:29:38 AM

First of all, I don't like your PSU. Get a decent one like a vx550.

Heat must be the issue here. How many fans do you have in that case?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 6:45:44 AM

I meant to touch base on the psu as well. I don't know much about that particular brand but I don't see too much proving its noteworthy to trust running your hardware configuration. Its possible it could be the OC issue if it can't handle the load.

You should still follow the itemization I gave you in my prior post...
August 14, 2009 6:50:59 AM

15 and 16 amps on the 12 volt rails, not good
August 14, 2009 6:55:24 AM

No it does not crashes on stock settings.

I have 2 120mm cooler master fans installed one at rear and one at front.

It does not shows me the BSOD any time, simply hangs and then displays goes off, everything hangs. but PC keeps on running.

The OS is windows 7 32 bit ultimate RC and i have the latest driver for my GPU from nVidia site.
August 14, 2009 7:02:04 AM

masterjaw said:
First of all, I don't like your PSU. Get a decent one like a vx550.

Heat must be the issue here. How many fans do you have in that case?

lol, every time i see you you're rappin on PSU's and promoting corsairs, mine comes in tomorrow :p 
August 14, 2009 7:47:28 AM

jlear3 said:
lol, every time i see you you're rappin on PSU's and promoting corsairs, mine comes in tomorrow :p 

Well, it isn't my fault that most people are still clinging with those crappy PSUs for the excuse of cheap prices. And most likely, their PSU cause problems to their build. I'm just doing them a favor and show them the way out of the dark side.

About promoting Corsairs, yeah that's what I have so what can you expect? I won't recommend some brand that I haven't tried before. There are also other quality PSU brands out there but I don't have the right to mention them out of experience, unlike Corsairs.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 11:17:33 AM

I guess his rappin paid off then? I find myself doing the same thing but once you see the light you just want to share the info to all the misguided geeks of the world...
!