Solved

With choosing CPU cooler

he guys, so once again I am in need of help choosing a component. as the limited options in New Zealand are making things difficult.

So I'm building a new system, based around the InWin Dragonslyer case that i have wanted since seeing it debuted at CES. This is an mATX case, so any 120mm tower coolers are instantly thrown out.

so basically, i need something that will fit in this case (preferably with enough clearance for side fans), and adequately cool an OCd Phenom 955. Now I don't care about noise, just cooling performance. But also don't want to spend too much.
Now i know I will be limited on OCing, but i just want to get the best cooling/OC potential out of around 100 NZD.

so far im looking at these two:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=13159

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentpop.asp?partid=13679

I'm guessing the ZZ is the better cooler, and seems to be based on review. but i can't find any direct comparisons.

Any tips? or any other suggestions? Any NZ sites are fine, but that the one with the best range of coolers i can find.

thank a lot guys. will be uploading some pics of the final build anyway.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about with choosing cooler
  1. I can only recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + with an extra 120mm fan.

I got ^that^ setup on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, overclocked to 3.2GHz and my temperatures stay very low. I haven't gotten temperatures of over 55'C on this cooler, even at stressing the CPU to 99% for extended periods (benchmarking repeatedly). It's a truly cheap cooler, but it works like a charm. It's HUGE so it looks cool as well, and with the blue LED fan I fitted it looks even more badass... :D
  2. Best answer
    @Welshmousepk,
    You will have some serious size constraints fitting a Hyper 212 in the Dragonslayer mini-tower.
    Go with the ZZ for size and efficiency.
  3. Oops, my bad. Didn't see that part with the small case...

Sorry man!

/ignore me
  4. Toxxyc said:
    Oops, my bad. Didn't see that part with the small case...

Sorry man!

/ignore me
    :), join the crowd - ' done the same thing many times!
  5. I agree that the Noctua NH-C12P is one of the finest coolers available today, but the OP said he didn't care about noise and I can't even imagine how that 140mm monster is going to fit inside of a Dragonslayer mini-tower.

Again, the ZZ is the way to go, however, at 31.07db compared to the Noctua's 19.6db (on high!!!)the Noctua would have been quieter by far! :)
  6. ZZ is slightly better then the Big Shuriken.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks
    CoolerMaster GeminII S is also good.
  7. anks for the replies guys. you seem to have confirmed what i thought. I went with the ZZ. the noctua would have actually fit in my case, but is over budget (costs 100 dollars more than the ZZ).

my parts will be arriving tomorrow I hope. so i will do the build then and put up some pictures if anyone is interested.
  8. Best answer selected by welshmousepk.
  9. Thank you!
    Indeed we will be very interested to see pictures of your work. A "before, during, and after" shot will be appreciated. I will keep this thread subscribed.
    You say the Noctua would fit...I'll remember that! My measurements told me the 140mm fan would have been askew - so I learned something today! Thanks.
  10. its 140mm fan is large, but since its on its side, i should fit in. the case actually has about 120mm if clearance. so a tower cooler would possiblt fit, but be pressing right up against the side panel. and leave no room for fans.

but the zz should do the job. I'm just hoping i can still get a 4ghz OC out of the chip.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Cases CES Overclocking