Sign in with
Your question
Solved

With choosing CPU cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 8:40:04 AM

he guys, so once again I am in need of help choosing a component. as the limited options in New Zealand are making things difficult.

So I'm building a new system, based around the InWin Dragonslyer case that i have wanted since seeing it debuted at CES. This is an mATX case, so any 120mm tower coolers are instantly thrown out.

so basically, i need something that will fit in this case (preferably with enough clearance for side fans), and adequately cool an OCd Phenom 955. Now I don't care about noise, just cooling performance. But also don't want to spend too much.
Now i know I will be limited on OCing, but i just want to get the best cooling/OC potential out of around 100 NZD.

so far im looking at these two:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentpop...

I'm guessing the ZZ is the better cooler, and seems to be based on review. but i can't find any direct comparisons.

Any tips? or any other suggestions? Any NZ sites are fine, but that the one with the best range of coolers i can find.

thank a lot guys. will be uploading some pics of the final build anyway.

More about : choosing cpu cooler

a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 9:28:17 AM

I can only recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + with an extra 120mm fan.

I got ^that^ setup on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, overclocked to 3.2GHz and my temperatures stay very low. I haven't gotten temperatures of over 55'C on this cooler, even at stressing the CPU to 99% for extended periods (benchmarking repeatedly). It's a truly cheap cooler, but it works like a charm. It's HUGE so it looks cool as well, and with the blue LED fan I fitted it looks even more badass... :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 11:25:45 AM

@Welshmousepk,
You will have some serious size constraints fitting a Hyper 212 in the Dragonslayer mini-tower.
Go with the ZZ for size and efficiency.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 11:36:35 AM

Oops, my bad. Didn't see that part with the small case...

Sorry man!

/ignore me
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 12:38:06 PM

Toxxyc said:
Oops, my bad. Didn't see that part with the small case...

Sorry man!

/ignore me
:) , join the crowd - ' done the same thing many times!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 4:39:37 PM

I agree that the Noctua NH-C12P is one of the finest coolers available today, but the OP said he didn't care about noise and I can't even imagine how that 140mm monster is going to fit inside of a Dragonslayer mini-tower.

Again, the ZZ is the way to go, however, at 31.07db compared to the Noctua's 19.6db (on high!!!)the Noctua would have been quieter by far! :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 10:08:03 PM

anks for the replies guys. you seem to have confirmed what i thought. I went with the ZZ. the noctua would have actually fit in my case, but is over budget (costs 100 dollars more than the ZZ).

my parts will be arriving tomorrow I hope. so i will do the build then and put up some pictures if anyone is interested.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 10:08:57 PM

Best answer selected by welshmousepk.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 10:30:01 PM

Thank you!
Indeed we will be very interested to see pictures of your work. A "before, during, and after" shot will be appreciated. I will keep this thread subscribed.
You say the Noctua would fit...I'll remember that! My measurements told me the 140mm fan would have been askew - so I learned something today! Thanks.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 10:44:24 PM

its 140mm fan is large, but since its on its side, i should fit in. the case actually has about 120mm if clearance. so a tower cooler would possiblt fit, but be pressing right up against the side panel. and leave no room for fans.

but the zz should do the job. I'm just hoping i can still get a 4ghz OC out of the chip.
m
l
!