Help with new hard drive

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hello guys.

This past Christmas I received a hard drive as a gift. The hard drive is faster than the one I'm currently using and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer everything from my old hard drive to my new one. I want to use the faster hard drive as my main hard drive. Is there any way I can copy everything, including the registry.

I'm also wondering if I can RAID 0 my hard drives even though one hard drive has a 16 mb cache and the other has a 32 mb cache. My motherboard supports RAID 0.

Thank you

Solution
Go to the website of whoever made your new drive. They should have some tools there that will let you copy things over. (at least they have in the past.)

As for RAIDing drives together, you can actually RAID together very different drives. What happens is that the faster drive will get done first, then wait for the slower drive to finish. This basically makes both drives perform at the speed of the slowest drive. I can also pretty much guarantee that you don't need AID0. Home users don't need it, even for gaming.

4745454b

Titan
Go to the website of whoever made your new drive. They should have some tools there that will let you copy things over. (at least they have in the past.)

As for RAIDing drives together, you can actually RAID together very different drives. What happens is that the faster drive will get done first, then wait for the slower drive to finish. This basically makes both drives perform at the speed of the slowest drive. I can also pretty much guarantee that you don't need AID0. Home users don't need it, even for gaming.

Solution

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Does the cache size for hard drives make a big difference in speed cause right now the bottleneck of my system is the hard drives and I want to make it faster hopefully through RAID 0

4745454b

Titan
How is it a bottleneck? Because WEI tells you so?

Cache size does matter some, but because the Cache empties so fast its more or less irrelevant. Anything over 16MBs probably doesn't matter, but its been awhile since I've seen anything on Caches. (last time I saw the 8MB Cache had just come out.)

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So does this mean that RAID 0 would improve my hard drives speed, I feel like its a waste to have the other hard drive just laying around. I don't really use that much hard drive space, probably get to 500 GB in like 3 more years. I think the only thing different between the two hard drives are the cache sizes and storage sizes. My guess is that its the bottleneck cause I've done several system benchmarks and the only thing that gave my computer the bad score are the hard drives.

CPU : I5 750 @ 3.6 ghz
Graphics Card : XFX Radeon HD 4890
Ram : 8 Gigs
Motherboard : P7P55D

TRENDING THREADS