March 7, 2011 12:38:33 PM

Hi there,

I have this setup:

Case: Corsair 800D
CPU: AMD 955@3.93 GHz
MB: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Republic of Gamers
GPU: 6870 Twin Razor
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4x2GB

Im currently useing a H70 with 2xGT 1850 in a push-pull for my CPU. Very happy with both themps and noise level.

My question is (Part I):

I am looking to get another 6870 card, and don't want it to turn my machine into a NoiseMonster (it's in the livingroom so it have to be quiet).

I am hoping there is something similar to the H70 out there, as in I don't have to maintain it, refill water, watch out for algea etc.. Im lazy, so want as little maintenance as possibile.

If you know any such systems, please let me know - a closed prebuilt system that will cool two graphics cards.

Part II:

Would I be better off getting 1 system to take care of CPU and two GPUs? I understand (after reading a bit) it will be cheaper and probably better temps, but Im really put off by the chance of leaking, the algae and the maintenace Id have to put in.

So to refine the 2nd part of my question - Do you know of any systems that can handle OCd CPU, and 2 GPUs, with as much of the system already assembled out of the box, and with as little maintenace as possible?

Thank you for any and all replies.

More about : h70 cool gpus

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 12:45:42 PM

For what you are asking, no, there isn't really.

Quote:
Would I be better off getting 1 system to take care of CPU and two GPUs? I understand (after reading a bit) it will be cheaper and probably better temps, but Im really put off by the chance of leaking, the algae and the maintenace Id have to put in.

Watercooling would be perfect for this, but considering your fears and admitted laziness, you'd have to determine for yourself if this is a good solution. Maintenance is pretty minimal for watercooling loops if you do it right the first time. Every 9 months or so, you should drain and refill your loop, but some people have gone 2+ years without having issues. Biocide (PTNuke or similar) and a Killcoil should help take care of that. Stay away from premixes.

Quote:
So to refine the 2nd part of my question - Do you know of any systems that can handle OCd CPU, and 2 GPUs, with as much of the system already assembled out of the box, and with as little maintenace as possible?

You will need to put together a custom loop to handle the heat load you are wanting to cool. Many people use the XSPC Rasa 360 kit for a CPU+GPU, but since you will be running a Crossfire setup + CPU, you'll want to start out with better components. Again, watercooling is fairly simple once you understand all aspects from budget, setup, filling, leak testing and then maintenance.

My signature has a ton of information; I'd suggest starting there. Each link has it's own 'how do I get started' kind of section with gobs of info from some incredible watercooling experts.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 1:16:33 PM

I do not know of any closed loops systems like the H70 that are for GPU's.
IMO,it is much better to do a whole custom system with actual liquid cooling.The temps are far better than any other cooler and it is practically silent.
Usually you run a leak test for about 12-24hours out of the case before you put it all together in the case.After that if theirs no leaks their probably won't be any.If you are super parranoid about it leaking most water cooling kits come with extra latches so the pipe stays secure to each block.

Of course if you really want to avoid water cooling then i would suggest getting x2 of the Zalman VF3000A.Their aren't made for the 6870's but they will fit.Or you can wait until the actual 68xx series VGA Coolers come out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 1:18:07 PM

^Even if you don't go watercooling, my best advice is to remove the stock coolers for your GPUs, clean the thermal paste off and reapply some good stuff; remount the stock coolers. This is usually good for 5-8C lower temps in most cases...as long as you have good airflow to begin with.
March 7, 2011 1:39:07 PM

rubix_1011 said:

My signature has a ton of information; I'd suggest starting there. Each link has it's own 'how do I get started' kind of section with gobs of info from some incredible watercooling experts.

Thanks! I'll check out your stickies.. See what I would need, and what I would cost. Pretty happy now I got a big Tower :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 1:42:41 PM

NP...most folks spend many weeks to many months reading and learning. There is so much out there to understand that to fully grasp everything that goes on in a watercooling loop, you have to soak up a ton of info. Budget will be what drives your build, so understanding what costs what to do what is incredibly helpful once you start asking questions. Let us know if you need anything.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 3:20:06 PM

^ Omni = junk.

From everything I have seen, I am very unimpressed with it. A decent concept, but falls far short like most other LCS all-in-one systems.

Better off getting a decent air cooler for your GPU than that.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 3:43:30 PM

Looks nice IMO.Really small backplate(thought you wouldn't be able to use it in crossfire because of the tubes)so you get lots of room between the cards.Has a 120mm fan for the radiator which is kind of nice i guess because you don't ever see GPU's using 120mm fans.

Way of making it work if you were intrested,Put the H70 on the top,first slot GPU radiator on the back exhaust and then the 2nd GPU radiators twards the front,or you could put it on the side but you wouldn't be able to open your case.

It is a neat thing to see the closed loop on a GPU but i do have to agree with rubix that a real water cooling setup would be much better.Compare regular water cooling and you only have tubes(which you can make change colors) and small water blocks.x3 120mm raditors inside a case in different places seems a bit bulky to me.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 3:56:21 PM

For all that work + cost, you'd be better off going with an actual loop. It will perform far better and depending on costs, you might be in the same ballpark. The weak pumps and 120mm rads on those LCS systems really cripple how well they can perform. You'd have to mod in a bigger rad+tubing and a better pump, and by that time, you'd have been better off going with a good loop to begin with.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 4:46:22 PM

Yes i agree.

So the only difference between the H50 and the H70 is the bigger radiator?Their isn't a stronger pump on the H70?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 5:21:03 PM

They made some pump and block revisions as well as radiator. The H50 was somewhat more prone to leaking, the H70 seems to have corrected this issue. If I was held at gunpoint, I'd choose the H70 over the H50.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 5:28:31 PM

I had a low end H50 and it did well for at idle temps but was horrible at load,even with a high airflow fan.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 5:29:37 PM

What does masvha have to say about all this?Is he thinking of going with a full water cooling system or with the Omni style.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 5:30:26 PM

Not sure; haven't heard from OP for several posts.
March 8, 2011 6:52:54 AM

Hi guys. I am leaning towards the full custom build. Just reading up on it now (and there is a lot to read :)  ).

Quick random question: If I want to cool CPU and two GPUs - it makes sense to have thisloop?

Pump-CPU-Rad-GPU-Res-GPU?

Or would it make more sense to split the loop, and have the CPU on loop1 and the two GPUs on loop2?
March 8, 2011 9:55:18 AM

so I've looked at some parts..

Was thinking I'd use what I can from the High end system below. What I need to know is if this will be able to cool enough for my OC'd CPU and my two GPUs?

What if the GPUs are overclocked? Or if I get a new AMD X6 1100T and OC that?

So to refine my question a bit.. Im not looking to get the below system in its entirety. But Im wondering if I can use the rad, pump and res. And I am unsure if that will be able to cool down the dual GPUs and the CPU.

Maybe I would change the rad to a XSPC RS360? Would that be enought? Planning on using my GT 1850s fans.

Any suggestions?

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/654306-guide-how...

March 8, 2011 11:09:21 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Not sure; haven't heard from OP for several posts.

Hi sorry, was away for a few hours. Put up some parts for a CPU+dual GPU WC.

Not sure if it's powerfull enough...
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 12:44:49 PM

Even a RS360 won't be enough to cool what you want to cool; you'd likely need a minimum of two 2x120mm rads to take care of what you have. More is better if you can manage it.

For the pump/res, you could build a MCP355/MCP35x with pump combo that would be far superior in power than that XSPC...it's decent, but the MCP pumps are the de-facto standard for watercoolers.
March 8, 2011 1:18:21 PM

ok, thanks for the reply.

So if I go for 2 x RS360 with 3 GT 1850s on each and get a MCP35x pump I should be good to go?

Since i'll now have two rads,, would it be better to have Pump-CPU-Rad-GPU-Rad-GPU , than Pump-CPU-Rad-GPU-GPU-Rad_

Also looks like a shroud is a good idea.
March 8, 2011 1:23:42 PM

OR maybe one loop for CPU and one loop for the GPUs?

Guess Id add the NB to the CPU loop..

looks like im over my fear of wc... :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 1:44:00 PM

A single loop would be just fine and work well. Loop order doesn't really matter much as long as your pump never sucks air, which typically means having the reservoir feeding the pump, which makes it easy to fill/prime your loop.

NB block won't really benefit you any other than bling factor. If you have a NB cooler that is decent/has a fan, you are just fine for just about any overclocking you want to do. Again, your choice, but most chipset/RAM/MOSFET, etc blocks are pretty restrictive and the lower flow may not be worth adding it in.

I run a CPU and SLI GTX260's with a MCP655 pump and two MCR320 radiators. It's probably more than I need to cool that setup, but those rads are cheap at about $55 each.
March 8, 2011 2:05:19 PM

cool - thanks a lot for your help so far :) 

How did you mount the two rads?

In my 800D I can put one on top, and there seems to be some different solution for where you put the other..

Been reading a bit, and most seem to cut the case to make room. Not sure Id like to do that. Not sure I could replace the case if i mess it up.

Any suggestions on how to mount the two rads?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 2:11:52 PM

I have mine mounted externally on the side. You can always go with a Rad Box to mount externally on the back of your case...many people do this.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 2:15:22 PM

What type of case do you have(name/model)?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 2:17:34 PM

Sorry i forgot to look.See now you have the Corsair 800D.
Isn't that made for water cooling?

Looks like theirs some fan mounts of the top or a grill mesh?Is it possible to put the RAD on top across that mesh?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 2:22:32 PM

I think he mentioned putting one in the top...what about the front? I'll have to go use the Google...brb...

Eh...looked...I don't think the front would work by the looks of it. Rad box might be your only choice without modding.

Found a build log on my other forum :)  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235461

Take a gander through that...looks pretty in-depth...he has a 3x120 in the top; a 2x120 in the bottom.

March 8, 2011 2:55:17 PM

thanks a lot!

Do you guys believe a 240 rad will be enough to cool 2 GPUs?

I thought the OC'd CPU produce less heat than two GPUs?

Or would I use the 360 rad for the GPUs, and the 240 for the CPU?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 2:57:09 PM

If you are running a single loop, both rads will cool all components in the loop. This would be my recommendation. Dual loops are just more setup; you need 2 pumps and 2 res's on top of the blocks. If you run everything in a single, serial loop, you take advantage of all components utilizing all of your available radiators.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 3:02:51 PM

You see in that pic he even has the NB and SB on water cooling.Thats got be a really cold case and CPU.Looks like hes got 2 pumps for that.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 3:07:30 PM

^The guy in the pic is running dual loops. He talks about the setup in the build log.
March 8, 2011 3:10:53 PM

thanks. To rephrase: a 360+240 combo on a single loop will be enough to cool down the CPU and 2 GPUs?

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 3:14:44 PM

Quote:
thanks. To rephrase: a 360+240 combo on a single loop will be enough to cool down the CPU and 2 GPUs?

Yes, it would work well for you. Now, on to your pump/res/block choices...happy shopping.
March 8, 2011 3:40:29 PM

Thank you again for all your help! Much appreciated :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 3:50:31 PM

No problem, let us/me know if you have anything else.
March 9, 2011 10:22:28 AM

So Single loop it is.
Belive I will mount 1 rad (3x120) op top (internal) and 1 rad (3x120) on the back (external) in this setup (will have 3 GT1850s on each rad and a MCP655 pump):

res-pump-rad(3x120)-cpu-rad(3x120)-gpu-gpu-res

Does that make sense?

Also, it looks like im better off using 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing for better flow? is that correct?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 12:57:18 PM

Yeah, sounds good to me. Again, loop order doesn't matter, but having your res -> pump order is helpful when initially filling/priming the loop to prevent air entering the system. It is also very helpful to have the reservoir higher than the pump when doing this...obviously, air rises in water, so air shouldn't get pulled into the loop unless you let the res run dry when priming/filling.

You'll want to jumper your PSU during this process to:

A) keep your system from fully powering up (5v molex will still power, but you'll remove the ATX connector from the motherboard) so you aren't starting up into BIOS/Booting your chip, RAM, HDD's then shutting them down

B) to avoid potential problems if there are leaks that could cause shorting. If you are very diligent in your setup and careful not to rush or cut corners, you should be just fine with no leaking. When in doubt, ask or Google the answers.

1/2"ID tubing is very, very common, but even 3/8"ID tubing would be fine. There is negligible difference in performance between either. Some actually use 7/16"ID tubing to fit over 1/2" barbs for a tighter fit and can eliminate the need for clamps in some situations.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 4:40:39 PM

I would get the thicker type of tubing.That way it won't kink up and reduce the flow.
March 10, 2011 12:27:11 PM

purple stank said:
I would get the thicker type of tubing.That way it won't kink up and reduce the flow.

thank you - by "the thicker type of tubing" you mean you would use the 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubes, or something bigger?

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 12:52:41 PM

Thick wall vs. thin wall tubing. The tubing you get at your local hardware store is thin wall vinyl tubing. Many of the high performance tubings for watercooling are thick tubing, made of different materials and allows for tighter turn radius bends. Thick/thin wall tubing comes in several sizes...it doesn't really have anything to do with the actual ID/OD tubing size.
March 10, 2011 1:09:43 PM

ok, thanks for clearing that up :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 1:11:42 PM

NP...it's a good question that isn't really explained most of the time.
March 10, 2011 3:14:50 PM

alright - so I've more or less decided on some parts, and this is the list:

Pump: 12V Laing D5 Vario Pump (Swiftech MCP655)
Rads: 2 x Black Ice GT Stealth 360 Radiator with GT 1850 fans
CPU block: EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper
GPU blocks: 2 x EK-FC6870 - Nickel Acetal
Res: XSPC Single Bay Reservoir
Fill Port: 1/4 Danger Den Fillport - Delrin

then im not sure about tubing, clams etc..

So basically id like to know if what i've set up so far makes sense, or if there are any obvious errors i've made (restriction to waterflow, temps, what-fits-what etc).

Obviously, if you have recommendations for components that would be better/suit my setup better please let me know.

Thanks guys!
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 3:27:17 PM

Really don't need a fill port if you have a reservoir, but you can if you want. You'd just need to run a T-line.

With those BIX rads, you'll need some powerful fans, just FYI.
March 10, 2011 3:29:51 PM

so my GT1850s won't be powerful enough?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 3:35:11 PM

High FPI rads need some high CFM fans. They would likely work, but faster fans would work better.
March 10, 2011 5:06:09 PM

ok

So I've read that for WC, CFM isnt that important but Static Preassure is. Is that correct?

What fans do you use?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 5:32:48 PM

Both are important, but static pressure would be more important. I use GT's on my MCR320's.
March 11, 2011 7:17:17 AM

Do you use the GT 1850s?

Reason for me going on about the GTs is that I have first-hand experience with them, and like them a lot as im willing to sacrifice some efficiency to get a more silent system.

I've read a few reviews on the MCP320 vs the GTS, and it seems that the GTS is more restrictive (more fins per square inch) and therefore need more powerful fans.

Is that correct?

If it is, then I belive the MCP is for me.
March 11, 2011 11:03:47 AM

edit: MCR 320, not MCP
!