Sign in with
Your question

New home built PC BSOD

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2009 2:22:50 AM

Hi please help me. I am having trouble with the PC i recently built. I would greatly welcome any help/advice given. First off this is my first time building a PC. I have installed new HDDs and RAM before so I am a little knowledgeable of the insides of a PC and being careful with installing parts. Also right after I built my PC, I helped my borther build an identical one with same parts. His is working smoothly. This is what I have:

PSU: Corsair 850tx 850W

MB: EVGA x58 sli

CPU: Intel core i7 920

RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz

GPU: EVGA Geforce gtx 285

Bios: ver. 1.06.79

I am stable and able to boot up into windows with default settings loaded in bios. However when I try to change my RAM speed from 1066mhz to 1600mhz it causes BSOD. The following error:

machine check exception 0x0000009c (0x0000000000000006, 0xfffffADF5C891280, 0x00000000FE000000, 0x000000000030014A)

*The numbers/letters inside the parentheses vary a bit when i try the different settings.

I have tried manually changing RAM speed from 1066mhz to 1600mhz and have everything else auto. I have also tried to set timers to 8-8-8-24 and 1.65v for RAM with other settings auto. Sadly, both will cause BSOD. If i try to boot using xmp profile 1 and all else auto there is no BSOD at all it just boots up and resets then boots up again in a continuous loop.

I thought maybe 1 or all my RAM sticks were bad so i tried each one while booting with default settings. Windows booted successfully for each stick. But when changing to 1600mhz BSOD would occur or the boot loop would occur while setting to xmp profile 1. I also tested all 3 sticks at default bios settings and on xmp profile 1 and manually setting to 1600mhz with 8-8-8-24 with memtest86+ v2.11. All tests showed no errors. I have also tried using different RAM but same make/model from my brothers PC which I helped build right after mine. We have the same identical setup however his PC runs fine with RAM @1600mhz.

Since his RAM also BSOD in my build when I try speed @1600mhz I now believe it is either my MB or CPU that is faulty and not my RAM. Again any help would be great.

Sorry for such a long post but i am trying to give all the info i can that can help anyone better understand my problem and hopefully i will get this solved soon.

Thanks for any and all replies. If i missed any critical info im sorry. I am new to pc building and troubleshooting so please bear with me if I dont grasp things quickly.

I just decided to go ahead and filled out an RMA for my MB. Hopefully when my new MB comes this problem will be solved and it is not the cpu or any other pc parts.

More about : home built bsod

May 11, 2009 3:34:03 AM

I'm going to say its the motherboard, or possibly the PSU. Can you swap PSU's with your brother's rig? Unfortunately the only way to actually verify its the motherboard is by eliminating all other possibilities.

May 11, 2009 12:00:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply will try that.
May 20, 2009 1:01:11 AM

Just to update. Don't know which it was exactly, but I RMA'd the CPU and Mobo. No more BSODs or looping reboots either. Thanks for replying and GL to all builders.
!