Chiggidy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
So pardon my ignorance, but i know a decent ammount about software, however i am learning a great deal about hardware... A friend of mine is slightly more knowledgealbe than I. sorry about the spelling, however he had enough knowledge to tell me that i needed to ask "tom's hardware". I am attempting to build a rig, mass storage, all in one. it will be my gaming rig, as well as a share drive for over 6 ter worth of information... now i might have this correct, but i need to raid the massive hard drives, so as to allow the windows 7 64 bit to acess the info??? or can i set them up as seperate drives... however i would love to set 6-8 ter up as "1" partition??? some one help please...

Thank you

Solution
no, you don't need to raid the hd's in order for windows to access data on it...

however...

if you're going to store 6TB of data... probably best if you avoid putting it in with a gaming rig for several reasons: it will heat up a lot during gaming (not good for longevity of hd's), the complexity of building a proper gaming machine with 'NAS' type features is not that efficient (compared to 2 separate systems), and you need to back up those 6TB of data as well...

i recommend you build a separate 'gaming pc'... then a separate 'Network Area Storage' system... with 4 x 2TB hd's in a raid 5 (6TB worth of space /w fault tolerance)
or 5 x 2TB hd's in a raid 5 (8TB worth of space)

with a raid 5 you'll have a fail safe if 1 hd fails...

Chiggidy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
if i am going to do extra space like this, does anyone have a recomendation on which of these might be best??

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive - Bare Drive

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
no, you don't need to raid the hd's in order for windows to access data on it...

however...

if you're going to store 6TB of data... probably best if you avoid putting it in with a gaming rig for several reasons: it will heat up a lot during gaming (not good for longevity of hd's), the complexity of building a proper gaming machine with 'NAS' type features is not that efficient (compared to 2 separate systems), and you need to back up those 6TB of data as well...

i recommend you build a separate 'gaming pc'... then a separate 'Network Area Storage' system... with 4 x 2TB hd's in a raid 5 (6TB worth of space /w fault tolerance)
or 5 x 2TB hd's in a raid 5 (8TB worth of space)

with a raid 5 you'll have a fail safe if 1 hd fails... however... if it's important data... i'd have the raid 5 backed up as well (online for example)

Solution

Chiggidy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
i understand, however allow me to elaborate... ideally i will be buying a sat for internet... from afghanistan, and i will be putting 9 other individuals on said sat. Therefore i was attempting to create a share drive worth of shows and movies... and possibly games... however there will be no streaming, only downloading to their machines on the network, and then watching... so, in order to do so, how much is a simple system, that will suffice for the networking... and does anyone have a recomendation for a decent router that will handle what i need it to??