PSU for 20 Hard Drives

Hello All!

I am currently in the process of building a home server which will sport 20 SATA WD "Green" 1TB hard drives. The system will be built using a MSI mobo with a 2.2ghz Dual Core Celeron and 2-4gb of ram. There might also be 3 PCIx SATA cards as well. Video and NIC are integrated. Also, there will be fans; max 7 12v 80mm. What would be the min amount of wattage I'd need? I do have a 600w PSU, but I'm not sure if this will be sufficient.

Thank you!
14 answers Last reply
More about hard drives
  1. Yes, it's fine. The only problem are the cables. What psu do you have?
  2. The PSU I have laying around is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148026

    The 12v rail amperage is OK, I wish it was a bit higher. It does have 8 4-pin molex and 4 SATA - could I buy a 1-7 molex adapter?
  3. Come to think of it, I also have an older Enermax 431w as well. How would that fair up?
  4. An hdd should use around 5-5.4W so even Enermax should be fine.
  5. Excellent news! Now I don't have to buy a PSU!

    Thank you very much, Hefox.
  6. jromano01 said:
    The PSU I have laying around is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148026

    The 12v rail amperage is OK, I wish it was a bit higher. It does have 8 4-pin molex and 4 SATA - could I buy a 1-7 molex adapter?

    That PSU is best kept laying around.
  7. hefox said:
    An hdd should use around 5-5.4W so even Enermax should be fine.

    An average HDD uses 10-15W while seeking. The 1TB Green drives are ~7.6W, and ~4W @ idle.

    The main problem with a large number of HDDs is spin-up, when HDDs use the most power. According to storagereview.com the 1TB Green uses ~30W.

    You should really be using HDD controllers with staggered spin-up to reduce the power draw.

    I would also recommend a PSU with a lot more SATA/Molex connectors, or better yet use 10 2TB Green instead since they use less power than the 1TB (only ~14W @ spin-up per storagereview)
  8. theAnimal said:
    An average HDD uses 10-15W while seeking. The 1TB Green drives are ~7.6W, and ~4W @ idle.

    The main problem with a large number of HDDs is spin-up, when HDDs use the most power. According to storagereview.com the 1TB Green uses ~30W.

    You should really be using HDD controllers with staggered spin-up to reduce the power draw.

    I would also recommend a PSU with a lot more SATA/Molex connectors, or better yet use 10 2TB Green instead since they use less power than the 1TB (only ~14W @ spin-up per storagereview)


    Can you please add the links? Thank you.
  9. Thanks but I can't find the power usage.
  10. hefox said:
    Thanks but I can't find the power usage.

    Sorry, that was the link at the page.

    Try this one.
    http://www.storagereview.com/Testbed4Compare.sr
  11. You should probably set up staggered spin up on those drives.
  12. Thank you all for the info. So far, I am planning this:


    Case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021

    Mobo:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186146

    CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116075

    RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134797

    SATA Controller:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008
    (I already have one of these)

    Hard Drives:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317
    (Already have 2 of these)

    I will be using a Maxtor 320gb for the O/S and I have a WD Caviar Black 1Tb as well.


    I was thinking of getting this PSU to power everything; I'm worried that my Apevia 600w or Enermax 431w isn't going perform well...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006


    Windows Home Server will the O/S - I already have a small File Server that has WHS - I am just going to create a new system.
  13. djcoolmasterx said:
    You should probably set up staggered spin up on those drives.


    How do I set that up w/ the hardware I'll be using?

    Update: I checked in my controller card bios and there is nothing for staggered spin up... any suggestions?
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies SATA Hard Drives Western Digital Components Product