Sign in with
Your question

Page fault in non paged area

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2009 7:18:27 PM

Sup guys, my first post here, I'll get right into it.

3 days ago i dl'ed the vista sp2 service pack and had 2 full days of my normal comp use w/ zero problems. Then, seemingly randomly, as i hadnt changed drivers or installed anything new,
My 8800 GTS started artifacting yesterday resulting in BSOD's, very similiar to overheating symptoms. However, via everest and my own case cleaning habits i'm very sure my gcard was not over-heating. It only seem'd to artifact in a 3d fullscreen game, so as a test, i googled to debug it and had a movie up and running for the full duration with zero problems. Dl'ed latest nvidia drivers for both the gcard and my nforce 680i mobo. However the problem continued to happen more and more and my computer started degenerating to the point where i cant load windows anymore. Attempt at starting windows results in a Page fault in non paged area BS. Safe mode haults on the crcdisk(sp?) dll.

Most importantly i have a very specific 3 verticle line artifact on the left side of my screen starting all the way at bios.

My question for you all: Is my gcard permenately ruined? Is there an error in my gcard mem causing the page fault error? Could this artifacting come from a bad driver? Could it be something else other then my gcard?

I have run memtest successfully. I am making this post from my Knoppix boot cd. I can email a ss of the artifacting if that would help.

Thanks for the responses in advance

EVGA 8800 GTS
Intel core2duo 2.4ghz
EVGA nforce 680i mobo
4ghz corsair (4x1gig)
500w mod ps
250g sata

More about : page fault paged area

a c 172 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2009 7:25:01 PM

Have tried running with just one stick of RAM at a time?
May 31, 2009 7:28:02 PM

mousemonkey: I have not, I would of tried that if it wasnt for the artifacting at bios causing me to lean towards my gcard and my successful running of memtest. I am willing to try it though.
Related resources
a c 172 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2009 7:38:11 PM

Artifacting during POST is never a good sign, but it's always worth checking the cheap bits first, wouldn't hurt to pull the graphic card out and give the heatsink a clean out especially if it's a fully shrouded type and if you are feeling really brave/bored redoing the thermal compound wouldn't hurt.
May 31, 2009 7:59:00 PM

my guess would be the gpu...or if you are really unlucky the southbridge.
May 31, 2009 8:35:06 PM

mousemonkey: gcard received a full cleanout yesterday, pulled off the shroud and made sure it was spotless and on par with my ocd anti-dust standards. Bored yes, brave enough to redo gpu thermal is just a step out of what i feel comfortable doing. Although if i knew it was the solution i would make the attempt

Eagles: Is there a way to determine gpu vs SB w/out swapping out the gcard? My bud has a 7600 that i can borrow, if i swap it out and i still get artifacting at POST, is it the SB?

Is there any possibility of a bad driver getting installed onto my gcard and thats causing the problem or is artifacting at post purely hardware? I'm guessing no, but if software could possibly be the case, is there a way to reflash the gcard similiar to reflashing bios? (i know thats prob a dumb question, i dont think gcards have any rom on them).

Lastly, I failed to mention that when i first noticed the artifacting, figuring it was software, i played a movie while googling for a fix. After this, as i said before, i checked for heat. I restarted my comp and opened the case to make sure all fans were spinning. When I looked at my 8800, it was not, so i gave it a lil spin with my finger (with very very little resistance) and it started up, I tossed up this non-spinning fan to the fact that i had just turned the computer on and it hadnt gotten enough voltage to turn on yet and that the drivers are on the smart fan setting, so if it wasnt on at startup, once it got to a certain temp, the volt would raise and it would eventually turn on.

However aftering slowly and painstakingly eliminating all other causes, im beginning to think that the fan never turned on, and that i was overheating my gcard in the 3d game apps causing the crash, and that although the movie wasnt enough to artifact/crash the card, it was enough to burn the gpu / memory.

Is that possible? It was my assumption that at any point in time when a gpu / mem temp reaches the point of causing a BSOD, it is done so before causing internal damage to itself. Is this true? If it is true? can repeatedly overheating it to the point of BSOD cause perma damage? I do know these questions are somewhat rhetorical but I guess im hesistant to toss my 8800 out the window :( 

Thanks for the responses so far
May 31, 2009 9:07:05 PM

Also, would the damaged gcard cause the Page fault in non paged area BS at windows startup?
a c 172 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2009 9:07:44 PM

A non spinning fan would point to cooked/buggered card, and graphic cards do have a BIOS ROM chip which can be flashed but if you have been cooking it for a while this then the GPU and/or VRAM chips may well be fried beyond saving. There is a BIOS editing program http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-BIOS-Editor-v5.0-(nibitor)-download-2050.html that you can use to turn down the voltages and clockspeeds, cooling down the card effectively and lowering performance a tad but if the cards shagged anyway what do you have to lose.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2009 9:12:15 PM

kvr123 said:
Also, would the damaged gcard cause the Page fault in non paged area BS at windows startup?

Possibly, although the extra heat being generated by a graphic card going into meltdown is going to do nothing to help matters.
May 31, 2009 9:25:51 PM

Mousemonkey: Ty for the link and info. Because i'm running off the knoppix boot cd I cant save / run that, but I will def be using that software in the future. Plus i dont think temp is a current issue b/c i cleaned the card and the fan consistently starts when powered on. You mentioned the card does have an ability to be flashed. Is this possible manually? Similiar to flashing a mobo? Or does it have to be done via software?
a c 172 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2009 9:36:54 PM

I think it can only be done via windoze.
May 31, 2009 9:45:51 PM

ty for all the help

I will replace my gcard and if this thread is still up, post the results
a c 172 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2009 9:48:03 PM

I'll keep an eye out, take care and I hope things work out for you.
June 5, 2009 12:20:10 AM

SOLVED: I replaced my 8800 with a new card (9600 gso) and all problems solved. I'm not 100% sure but i'm guessing it was faulty gcard memory due to overheating.

Thank you all so much for the help
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 5, 2009 1:13:06 AM

You're welcome mate, take care and happy gaming.
!