Hosting business which raid would be good?

hardwarefish

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
If you want to do CO LOCATION and want to build server for your hosting business, which RAID would be the best?

Raid 1 or 5 or 10? Assuming that you also want to cut some budget, will raid 1 sufficient enough? or raid 10 will be the best which many said that

thanks

mavroxur

Distinguished
This thread is related to your previous thread i'm guessing....

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284809-30-raid-mobo-seperate-raid-performance-wise#bas

But i posted the following on that thread, i dont know if you saw it or not.

It all depends on the level of redundancy and capacity you need. If you don't need much storage space
, and want average redundancy, then a pair of drives in a RAID 1 would be sufficent. If you need lots of space (more than a pair of mirrored drives could provide) then you need to move to a RAID 5, or if the array will be really large (5 or more disks) and the data is critical, a RAID 6 would be even better. a RAID 5 array requires a minimum of 3 disks, and your capacity is the total minus 1 drive. A RAID 5 array can lose 1 disk and continue to function. a RAID 6 array requires a minimum of 4 disks. Your capacity would be the total minus 2 disks. A RAID 6 can tolerate losing any (2) disks in the array at any given time. A RAID 6 would be a good idea for, say, an array of 6 or more drives, several hundred GB or a few TB each or more, where good fault tolerance is required in a medium throughput application.

As far as your question regarding the card you mentioned. The card you linked, in a RAID 1 scenario, won't provide much speed benefit over the onboard ICH9R. Maybe a very minimal gain if anything. However, the main reason people go with a RAID card as opposed to an onboard RAID is that a lot of onboard RAID controllers don't support things like hot swap, hot spares, and online array rebuilding, which makes them useless in a business scenario that requires high availability of data. What's the point of having a hosted service, if you have to take down the server to rebuild an array after a failed drive, which might take hours for a large array?
In a RAID 5 scenario, the ICH9R would be blown away by a caching RAID card (not the one you linked though, since it doesn't even do RAID 5). The reason being that RAID 5/6 require a lot of processing power for the parity calculations involved, and hardware RAID cards have a RISC or ASIC calculation engine to handle this. I hope I was able to shed a little bit of light on this.