New Sys on order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I finally stopped hitting my head against the wall and placed my new video editing system order. I should have buy friday. Will be getting (main items):

P4 1.8Ghz CPU (478)
Abit TH7II/raid mainboard (478 - upgradable over 3Ghz)
512 Rdram
2 * 80Gig seagate HD's for video capture
1 * 20Gig seagate for OS
Pinnacles DV500 capture card.

I was on the virge of getting an dual AMD system but they did not cut the cake this time around for the flask encoding and a couple of other minor things that bugged me. I was also going to go with the Pinnacle Pro One but could not justify the extra 1000$ for the new features. I hope I don't regret these decisions.

I want to thank everyone who may have helped in my decisions, it was greatly appreciated and most needed. I will endeavor to help others as my knowledge increases as I learn to do things with the new system.

Patrike

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm jealous.

Let us know how you like it. Looks about right. I wouldn't go the extra $$ for the 2GHz either. Have you checked out the xp?

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

Pinnacle noted thaat they are working on drivers that will support WinXP.
It's a nice card you selected and nice configuration around it. I hope to see you also on Pinnacle suport forums soon.

G

Way to go!

Good luck

Take Care.
What the heck was that all about!

G

XP software or the AMD processor --
The XP processor was not tested for flask conversions -- something I want to try allot of -- I think the P4 will serve me better in the multimedia/video editing area better.

Thanks.
PaTrike

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The AMD XP was not flask tested by Tom's but it was tested by <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1543&p=9" target="_new">AnandTech (link)</A>. Check it out! The XP has SSE which helps a great deal and is what made the P4 so much better (at Flask) then non-SSE CPUs.

BTW I hate AMD puppies cause here I am suporting AMD but they see my unbiased opinion as pro Intel.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LakeDude on 10/17/01 10:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hey.

Thanks, I will check it out -- I was using flask in a generic sense -- I have not used any enoding software as I did not have a system worth while to try it on. I have ordered the Intel system so I guess it's a no brainer about the xp but I like to read and follow stuff like that anyway. Hey, they win my business next time.

I will try the Nandub vbr for sure.

Thanks
PaTrike

G

I invested in an Athlon 1400C for DivX encoding, and get half the frame-rate Tom's is reporting about a P4/2Gigs. (around 11 whereas the last article spoke of around 18-19fps). While I'm a dedicated AMD fan, this is the 2nd time I bow before Intel (first was with the latest THG thermal shakedown video).
In short, good choice on the CPU, I have no real clue about video capture, but I think you're making an overkill on the memory. It's cheap, but not neccesary. After all it's a machine that runs only this task, no? run this task on a similar machine and see how much memory it eats, together with the OS. no point buying memory that won't be used :) My professional guess would be that 256MB is overkill for what you're trying to do.

Also,

Status
Not open for further replies.