External HD Causing BSOD?

Last response: in Storage
January 2, 2011 3:46:03 PM

I have a custom PC build:

-GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Corsair 750W Desktop Power Supply
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
-EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB
-G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I am also using an external hard drive, a 500GB Seagate Free Agent 7200RPM. Ever since I starting using my custom build about a year ago, I have been getting frequent BSODs. It will happen while on the internet, browsing, or even while idle. Throughout the year, I have RMA'd both my RAM and video card so it can't be them.

I check the Windows Event Log and see that, within 1-2 hours of crashing, Windows has logged "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1"

I RMA'd the hard drive to Seagate. They acknowledged the drive was faulty and replaced it. But, upon receiving the new drive, the same problem persists. The most promsing sign I noticed is that when I unplug the external HD, the BSODs stop. The Windows Event Log errors also stop. That is why I am convinced its the hard drive. I never had a problem using it on my XP Laptop.

Is it something with incompatibility with Windows 7? Thanks for any advice.

More about : external causing bsod

a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 3:57:03 PM

Sounds like an issue with Win7 driver and the controller of that HDD; not getting along well. You could try and see if you can download and install a different driver, maybe from the Seagate website. Then, after plugging the drive in, go to it's properties and try to upgrade the driver, using as target the one downloaded. If it works, then fine, if not... not much you can do about it.
m
l
!