Samsung HD103SJ 1T - Not recognized

valc93

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hi everyone,
My problem lies with my new Samsung HD103SJ 1T Hard Drive. I just bought it recently and I cant make my computer recognize it. I got it because my old computer is running out of space. I was planning on using Clonezilla to clone my old drive and use the new bigger drive; but nor my computer nor my bios recognizes it.

I am using a Dell Dimension 5150 and my Bios is Version A07 (I think?)

I have read thousands of threads and looked everywhere but cant find a solution for my problem...

Thanks.

dzungt

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

I just fixed mine. It is easy, follow steps below after physically installed your new hard drive.

1- Right click My Computer
2- Select Manage, this will open a new window.
3- From left panel, choose Disk Management under Storage
4- Your new drive should be listed as a disk with unallocated storage hard drive; check to make sure you found the right one.
5- Right click that new disk and format it.
Enjoy your new drive.

tranht

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOO SOOO MUCH!!! I almost returned my Samsung HDD driver because my computer couldn't detect the drive!!! Thank you again!!! you are soooo awesome for sharing this with us!!!!!

dzungt

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

You are welcome! Enjoy your new drive

DT

Intr0

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks a bunch, It's been so long since i last did a drive I'd forgotten how. As I side note i had to "initialise" the drive before it would show up to be be formatted. But the option shows in the same place "Disk Management". I'm on a Dell XP machine.

ishtra

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I am having a similar problem with the same device. I am using it as a secondary drive for media, running Windows 7 off another HD without issue.

I will sometimes be able to see the Samsung drive in the manager, then it will randomly disappear (both from the top and bottom menus). I've been able to start the formatting wizard, but it never works. I'm getting I/O errors or pop-ups about the device not being available.
Thoughts?

I am new to building and need a bit of a walk-through.
thanks so much.