Disappointing fps with Asus EAH 4850 1GB

Muobman

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Ok, here's the deal, a little while ago I bought an Asus radeon EAH4850 1GB, to improve my performance in games over my previous card (which was pathetic). I uninstalled the old drivers, ran driver sweeper in safe mode and installed the drivers for this card, it all works ok on desktop but in game my frames are way lower than they should be.

My system configuration is:

Phenom 9500 @default clocks
Asus radeon HD 4850 1GB @default clocks
2GB RAM (unsure of what make or speed, comes out as 5.9 on vista experience rating though, if that's a help)
Windows vista home premium OS

I ran CSS video stress test on all max at 1440x900 max settings and averaged 107fps, pretty pathetic for such a high performance card. A friend got about 280 fps with Gigabyte 512mb, so something is seriously wrong. I don't have any other benchmarks for it right now, will get some later.

Basically, do you have any idea what has caused this?

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Ill give it a swirl,

Its your phenom that's slowing you down (a.k.a Bottleneck).
The first gen phenoms rnt rly well knownfor there speed.

Try upping your cpu speed by just a bit (200-300 mhz) and you
should alrdy notice a nice increase of fps

psylos

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Your ram is in two dimms of 1 GB or just one 2GB dimm? Make them pairs of dimms... And get another 2GB of ram. 2GB ram is the least requirement for vista I think... I don't think your CPU is such a bottleneck. Ram must be in pairs of dimms so it runs in dual channel.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's 107 fps, how would 200 something make the game any better?

Your friend probably has a higher clocked CPU allowing for more FPS at that resolution. If your games are all playable, then I wouldn't be so dissappointed.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008

It's the epitome of a CPU instensive game... not literally, but the graphics cards have so far surpassed what is needed in that game that the only thing holding it back is the CPU.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
What is his "Gigabyte 512" if its a 9800gtx+ then yea, it would make sense that hes getting MUCH higher FPS then you...Also you can judge performance by one game, try other games. Some games are more highly optimized for certain maker IE. ATI/Nvidia.

Your CPU is bottlenecking your card. You can only go as fast as your slowest component...Dont worry about it 100fps is more then bareable.

Muobman

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
2fast4u, his card is a 4850 as well, that's why I didn't specify a type. Also, I want to be able to get more graphically intensive games so that's why I wanted the boosted performance. About the CPU bottleneck, that seems to be the case, I shall not doubt the Tom's Hardware gurus again. After reading up on it I used the Vista TLB patch disabler and saw my fps in the CSS video stress test go up to 170, and that could surely be boosted further with a little overclocking. So basically thanks for the help, and I'm glad the solution was so simple, I've seen no end of threads on other forums where an answer was never reached.