Sound card won't work

Hecyra

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I just did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, updated everything, installed my new Geforce GTX 260, everything was great... Then I installed a new Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card, ran the CD that came with it, checked the drivers, but I have no sound at all on my computer now. I tried disabling the realtek onboard sound in device manager and in BIOS with no luck. Have I missed something? I've never used a sound card before, just the onboard sound. Would I be better off using the onboard Realtek sound? It's on an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. Any help would be appreciated, gaming with no sound is driving me nuts!

You did plug into the soundcard's jacks, and not the ones for the onboard, right?

MAke sure the sound card is selected as the default output device from the Windows Control Panel.

Use whatever management utility is installed with the Soundcard and make sure your output settings are set up correctly.

Hecyra

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Heh, boy do I feel dumb now... I finally gave up after about 3 hours of un/reinstalling drivers etc etc. I didn't switch to plug into the sound card. Thanks lol, maybe I'll put the card back in my computer now and try it. *sigh* It's always the obvious that's overlooked.