Sign in with
Your question

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ on i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2011 6:19:36 PM

Hello, I am planning on buying the i5-2500k with the asus p8p67 pro motherboard.
This will go in a cooler master elite 430 case.
I want to use the arctic silver 5 as the thermal paste.
I am planning to oc the cpu to 4.5ghz.
What kind of temps should I expect with this setup?
Also, how far could I go with this setup?
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 7:55:05 PM

Pretty sure you can reach 4.5ghz with a Hyper 212+.
Don't expect a crazy O.C. but the Hyper 212 holds it's own.
Case airflow pays a big part in how well the Hyper 212 can perform.
How many fans do you have in your case?Just the front and back 120mm's?
March 8, 2011 7:57:02 PM

None yet, still going to order it.
How many fans should I have and where?
And whats a good fan?
Would this do?
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/coo...

I am not planning to go above 4.5ghz, maybe aim for 5ghz just to say I have done it but go back down straight away.
(No prime or anything like that, just quick screenshot and reboot 4.5ghz or whatever i had)
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 8:22:59 PM

Quote:
I am not planning to go above 4.5ghz, maybe aim for 5ghz just to say I have done it but go back down straight away.
(No prime or anything like that, just quick screenshot and reboot 4.5ghz or whatever i had)

No offense, but that doesn't really prove anything due to the fact that there is a huge difference between a 5.0ghz CPU running idle and one at 100% load. I understand your want for bragging rights, but if you try flashing this around on forums, you'll immediately be called out for load screen shots. Just FYI.
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 8:25:01 PM

Those aren't good fans.Give me a site and i'll looks for you.
You have a price/preference/color?

I doubt you will get to 5ghz,temps should be pretty high by then.Looks liek your case supports 2 120mm's at the top and another at the bottom.I would defnitly reccomend those top ones.
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 3:25:26 PM

Check my sig.

I have the 2600K @ 4.6 using a Hyper 212+ in a HAF 912 case and my temps have never gone past 61c in real life games/apps/etc...
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 4:38:33 PM

The sites you have gave don't really have a huge selection of fans so i did my best.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans%2C+Heats...

That fan is the cheapest and push's the most amount of air.Sorry i couldn't find any Blue LED fans.They are my favorite too.Just buy a couple of those fans and you should be able to get to 4.5ghz.
March 9, 2011 6:36:32 PM

I will hopefully get those fans.
The led problem can be sorted with some light mods for the case.

And Jonpaul37, that sounds really good, hopefully I will get similar results.
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 6:39:59 PM

All i need is a Amazon type site where you are and i can find the ones i'm looking for.Their are much better fans for that price.

Do you have an Amazon in the uk?
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 7:41:59 PM

Did you figure out have many more fan opitions you have in your case?
March 9, 2011 7:48:23 PM

Fans 1 x 120mm Front Blue LED Fan, 1 x 140mm Fan (Optional)
2 x 120mm Top Fan (Optional)
1 x 120mm Rear Fan (Optional)
1 x 120mm Side Fan (Optional)
1 x 80/90/120mm Bottom Fan (Optional)

So thats a total of 6 fans.
Also, can I does it mean i can have 2 front fans, or just one 120mm or one 140mm?
And do the antec fans blow in more air than the xilence fans?
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 8:13:51 PM

No you can only have 1 front fan and it's either a 120mm or a 140mm.

I'd definitly get at least 2 fans for the top.Those are a must.And maybe one on the side or one to replace the back exhaust fan.The bottom fan doesn't really do much since the case isn't high enough off the ground for it to get air.

The Antec fans push a lot more air and they have 3 different speeds.

How many fans were you thinking of buying?
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 8:16:54 PM

Another thing i would think of doing is replacing the fans on the Hyper 212+.The fan they provide is a good fan but Antec fans on it would be much better.Also since the Hyper is Alumimum the fans will shine brighter if their on it.Put 2 Antec fans on it for push/pull.Much more effective.
March 9, 2011 8:18:09 PM

Right now maybe 1 or 2, but after my wallet gets over the shock from the whole system cost I am planning buying 6/5 fans , maybe a stand or something so the bottom one works as well.
And is the back exhaust fan the same as the rear fan?
And here is the case itself
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/cas...
The blue LED's will be helfull in the window so I can take pride in my work :)  .
March 9, 2011 8:22:02 PM

So I could put 2 of the blue antec ones on the hyper 212.
But that would mean that the price of the hyper 212+ would increase by 50%, so for that I could buy a better fan that wouldnt need this?
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 8:40:47 PM

Yah the back exhaust fan is also named the rear fan.Same thing.

Well you buy the Hyper 212+ and then buy 2 Antec fans to put on it.You don't have to but it's just something i would do.Putting higher airflow fans, like the Antec ones, on a cooler will give you lower/better temps.

Another option than putting them on the Hyper 212 is replacing the rear exhuast fan with one of the Antec ones.That way the Hyper 212 will blow hot air right into the Antec fan, and since it pushes more air, it will suck up the heat and put it right out of the case.Either the top or exhaust is where i would put the 2 fans.The side fan is mostly for the GPU but the CPU fans do befient from it.
March 9, 2011 8:45:00 PM

Ah ok, so what configuration do you recommend in terms of intake/exhaust?
And thanks for all the help btw :) , hopefully I will buy this or next week.
I am new to all of this and I know nothing about the optimal internal airflow of the pc. hows this?
2 x 120mm Top Fan (Both intake)
1 x 120mm Rear Fan (Exhaust)
1 x 120mm Side Fan (Exhaust)
1 x 80/90/120mm Bottom Fan (Intake if on a stand )
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 9:21:14 PM

You could do it like that but i've always thought the top fans always exhaust because heat rises.I would do Top Fans exhaust,rear exhuast.Side fan Intake,front fan intake,bottom intake.I would buy 3 Antec Fans and put 2 on the Hyper 212+ for push/pull and 1 Antec fan on the exhaust.Thats way you have opimal CPU cooling and the best way of getting the heat out of your case.Then take the rear exhaust fan that came with the case and the fan that came wit hthe hyper 212+ and mount them both on the top for exhuast.

Is your power supply bottom or top mounted?
March 10, 2011 3:57:36 AM

romanrp said:
Ah ok, so what configuration do you recommend in terms of intake/exhaust?
And thanks for all the help btw :) , hopefully I will buy this or next week.
I am new to all of this and I know nothing about the optimal internal airflow of the pc. hows this?
2 x 120mm Top Fan (Both intake)
1 x 120mm Rear Fan (Exhaust)
1 x 120mm Side Fan (Exhaust)
1 x 80/90/120mm Bottom Fan (Intake if on a stand )

Hi I've got the same setup as yours ... Cooler Master Elite 430, 2500K, P8P67 Pro, Hyper 212+, PowerColor 5770 ... I'm able to hit 4.7GHz at 1.36V even after running Prime 95 for 4hrs. Again the results really depend a lot on luck with which 2500K you'll get.

I've set up my airflow again similar to yours but with some differences ...
2X 120mm Top Fans [Both intake - Front (from the case face) 120mm is a Cooler Master Sickle Flow 2000rpm Blue LED (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L15A2c1EgIY&feature=rela...), Rear 120mm Blue LED came with the case]
1X 140mm Front Fan [Intake - Cooler Master Essentials 1000rpm Blue LED (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4395)]

I've sealed the side panel as well as bottom intake grills as my graphics card isn't a hot card to begin with. I've cut out the rear exhaust grill so there's now a huge gaping hole at the back. I've also opened up 3 PCI slots to allow air to naturally vent out. I wanted to recreate the Positive Airflow model from this Silverstone FT02 video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe-2ZqmSGug&feature=feed...) with the objective of restricting my air intake through fan filters only since my room is pretty dusty. You can see pics of my my set up below.

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd489/bobthetrader1...

If you don't want to cut out the rear exhaust grill like I did, you can still use a 120mm to exhaust air out.

So far the cooling results have been fantastic ... while using Prime 95, CPU temps maxed at around 68oC with ambient around 29oC. During normal usage like surfing the web and working on documents, temps hovered around 38oC but my CPU was actually throttled down to 1.6GHz 0.967V cos i didn't disable Intel's SpeedStep.

Just a note ... your might want to invest in better fan filters cos the ones that came with the 430 aren't very good. I'm actually using a Cooker Hood filter now and it's doing a great job of cutting out dust. This also means that your fan's airflow performance will drop so if you have a hot graphics card(s) then you might want to use all the available intake grills.

Hope this helps you have a clearer idea.

Cheers!
March 10, 2011 3:14:04 PM

Wow those are some great temps and thats a very nice build. I dont think I will make any physical non reversible changes to my case just yet.
Have you tried for 5ghz ?

@purple stank
I dont have a psu yet, I havent got anything right now because I am choosing what to buy.
The psu I am getting is the corsair tx 650W
And also, If one top fan was intake and the other top fan was exhaust, would that work?
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 3:59:09 PM

You could do that but.But i would think that would just mess up the airflow.Or Flow of Air.It's about air pressure.With an air tunnel affect the air will naturally move from one end to the other of your case.
March 10, 2011 4:21:22 PM

So the optimal flow would be the bottom fan being intake (because cold air sinks)
while the top 2 fans being exhaust because hot air rises.
This way the air would go straight upwards . I probably need to get a table with a hole in it or something to get make sure the bottom fan will work.
I would also have the side as intake and rear as exhaust, how does that sound?

Also one more question, is the case I picked any good?(or should this go in the case section?)
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 4:56:48 PM

Yes that should work good.Priority wise i would get the top fans first then fill in the rest as you go.

No theirs nothing wrong with your case it's actually really good for the amount of money you pay for it.
March 10, 2011 5:05:46 PM

I will get those then .
Does the hyper 212+ come with thermal paste or should I buy the Arctic Silver 5?
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 9:30:15 PM

I'm pretty sure it comes with thermal paste.Also comes with an extra set of fan clips so you can mount another fan for push/pull.Arctic Silver 5 is good but i wouldn't reccomend using it unless your trying to reach a very high O.C. and your temps need to drop just an extra 1-3c to make it safe.Really the normal thermal paste that they give you should work just as well.

I should warn you that if you do use Artic Silver 5 that you should read the directions for applying and the CUREING period.If you don't cure it properly it will actually raise your temps.Also theirs flakes of silver in it so make sure you get it only on the proccesor chip and no where else.
March 11, 2011 5:12:03 PM

Which would give me lower temps, putting the 2 fans on the top or replacing the fans on the cpu cooler ?
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 5:49:33 PM

Replacing the fans on the cooler.
Just remember you need to buy 3 not 2 for that setup.The fan you have for the back exhaust won't be able to keep up with the higher air flow Antecs.So you need 3 fans,2 for the coolr and 1 for the exhaust.Or if your only buying 2 you can put 1 Antec fan on the cooler and another for the exhaust.
March 11, 2011 6:03:24 PM

Ok I will do that, I made some more space in my budget so I can pick up a couple of fans.Maybe 4.
Thanks for all the help :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 6:43:13 PM

Welcome
Tell us how you do when you've O.C.ed.
July 9, 2011 7:48:29 AM

I5 2500 K
Asus P8P67 oc

Bus Speed : 100.00
OC By all core : 45
Voltage set to manual and the below field (Where you set voltage ) again its Auto

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Mid Tower

Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme CPU Cooler in Full Auto (RED LED)
Front : 200 MM Red LED (Intake)
Top : 200 MM Exhauste
Side : Zalman 120 MM Blue LED (Intake)
Rear : 120 mm Exhaust

Cooler Master Silent M Pro 1000 Watts

Saffire Radeon HD 5770 OC'd
910 Mhz Memory Clock
1425 Mhz Core Speed Clock
Using AMD Overdrive

Ram : Kingston Hyperx 1600 Mhz
OC : 1.57 Volt

And fan controls set to normal

Being Stable for more than a month
August 8, 2011 4:24:33 PM

jonpaul37 said:
Check my sig.

I have the 2600K @ 4.6 using a Hyper 212+ in a HAF 912 case and my temps have never gone past 61c in real life games/apps/etc...

Would it be possible for you to explain to me how and where you applied the thermal paste? I have the same setup as you (instead of the 2600k I have the 2500K) running at stock (3.3Ghz) my temps go to 67C.

I only have the stock fan configuration. Any help/advice you give me would be awesome!

Thanks
August 17, 2011 4:59:06 PM

rjivani said:
Would it be possible for you to explain to me how and where you applied the thermal paste? I have the same setup as you (instead of the 2600k I have the 2500K) running at stock (3.3Ghz) my temps go to 67C.

I only have the stock fan configuration. Any help/advice you give me would be awesome!

Thanks

Did you remove the thermal material from the stock cooler? I was getting around 50c under load.

I had my mobo go bad on me, and had to get arctic silver to replace the existing TM, but put on a little too much I think, because I'm running 55c+ now under load. Just ordered a Hyper 212+, hence being on this thread.

Spread a small amount to 'tint' the CPU and cooler using a new plastic bag, then put a medium/small line down the center. Thinking should have just done a very small line or a small drop since I tinted.
!