Second Overclock...Tips

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hello there again, I would like to thank you for the tips and advice you gave me yesterday but the advice was mixed. So for the second overclock this is what I'm going to be getting to improve my chances of a good overclock. Right so to get things started I'm aiming for around 3.2 - 3.6 GHZ.

Full Spec:

NZXT M59 Classic

AMD Phenom II Six Core Processor 1055T

Noctua D14 2 fans installed could get one more on there.

ASUS M4N75TD

8GB - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (Still need something which is compatably any good brands you have used and you can recommend?

GTX 460 Sonic Platinum (Going to buy a second make that x2)

750w PSU

That RAM at the moment is the problem 4GB of 1333MHz is just not enough because I need to bump that down to 1237MHz and I notice the difference :(

Can't thank you guys enough :D :D :D :D :D :D

natefostersr

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
u should easily hit that goal check out this thread.

Post by 8ight
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/884103-1055t-overclocking-guide.html

Let's get started!
Hopefully you know your way around your BIOS and some common abbreviations.
Like...
LLC - Load Line Calibration
HT Ref - HyperTranport Reference Clock, sorta like a FSB and refereed to as such occasionally as it acts in the same way.
vDIMM|vCore|vCPU/NB etc. - Just abbreviations for voltage, ie vCore=CPU core voltage.

Anything else in the guide needs no explanation, or is self explanatory, if in your case this statement is false, post and ask questions!

Note on temp maximums: To overclock a 1055T successfully, you need cooling first! Stock won't net you much because with AMD's fab process temps over 55C and you hit the "temperature wall" your system WILL destabilize and falter under load!

Now for the overclocking!
Raise your HT Ref speed to net you the clock you want, I go up in 200MHz (processor!) increments and test stability. Knock your voltage up to around 1.45-1.47 for 3.8-4GHz if you wish to start here since that's what most 1055Ts are capable of. Drop your RAM down to a lower frequency (AMD CPUs IMCs prefer 1333MHz DDR3 with tight timings rather than 1600MHz+ and looser than the girls at my school). Tighten RAM timings accordingly and test with Memtest86+ also increase your vDIMM a bit (1.5>1.65, 1.65>1.75) that usually does it. Your CPU/NB voltage must be raised as well, for 2 DIMMs running within spec albeit with tighter timings up to 1.35v may be needed for stability. Clock your HT Link speed as close to 2000MHz or slightly above (2100-2200MHz is acceptable) and move your CPU/NB multi to get as close to 3GHz or maybe higher if you manage. Dropping CPU/NB speed to ~2.6GHz or lower will result in a slightly slower but much more stable system that requires less CPU/NB voltage but I only recommend this to those running 4 DIMMs or crazy RAM speeds for SuperPi benching. Loosening RAM timings/increasing vCPU/NB and vDIMM solves blue-screens pretty well, any other instability means you're too hot (55C+) or you need more vCore/to lower your OC. Most boards are capable of ~280 HT Ref speed, your nicer 890FX board SHOULD be able to pull about 300. FSB walls (HT Ref walls, really) will often cause your BIOS to report "Overclocking Failed!" etc. However, in the event you boot, you will get lockups regardless of vCore adjustment. Just play with it and get a feel for how hard you can push your hardware, it's simple and a learned skill not a read one.

On CPU voltage...
CPU/NB- With LLC ~1.36v safe without up to 1.4
vCore- With LLC ~1.4-1.43 safe without up to 1.5
RAM- Depends on stock volts, I never go over 0.15v above stock
HT voltage may need to be bumped up by .05-.1v if you run at a slightly higher HT Link speed a la 2200MHz which seems to be popular

1055Ts/1075Ts/1090Ts are supposedly listed as safe up to 1.4v by AMD. People don't realize that is just the VID range, as in AMD won't ship a chip with a VID higher than 1.4. The max SAFE voltage is thought to be slightly lower than a standard Phenom II at about 1.5v rather than 1.55v for non-hex Phenom II/Athlon II chips. Given 1055Ts USUALLY pull 4GHz at 1.4Xv people seem a bit too cautious labeling anything above 1.47v LLC or 1.5v without too high but I don't think it's fatal.

Use CoreTemp for temp readings and set the offset to +10C, the core diodes read far too low for Thubans, confirmed by AMD. Some said +7C is what you need, others say up to +13C! I say take the average of +10C and according to my probe thermometer that's about right!

Just a little side note on 1055T multis, some people claim they can achieve higher HT Ref clocks and faster speeds (CPU wise) dropping down to a 13.5 or 13 multi (you CAN lower the multi from 14, just not raise it, locked UPPER multi as with any locked AMD proc I have heard of). I find the stock 14x multi to be the sex and have had much easier/more stable OCs on it than 13/13.5. Anything lower than 13x and you will hit FSB walls, the stability of different multis varies from chip to chip and usually lower end (older 7XX chipset mobos) and cheapo boards like the lower multi. Some say the 1055T doesn't like higher HT Ref speeds at its stock multi, just test them all out but know you won't be doing yourself any favors running at a lower multi for some reason or another if "your proc/mobo doesn't mind" the 14x base multi.

DISABLE IN BIOS!
Secure VM Mode
Cool 'n' Quiet
any C1E/SpeedStep style features you find
Turbo mode/AMD Turbo CORE technology (whatever your BIOS identifies it as)
CPU and PCIe spread spectrum
Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC)

ENABLE LLC! if you have it, but note it requires lower volts as it will add or maintain voltage under load rather than cause you to lose it (VDroop) with LLC off, or if your mobo doesn't support it. If your motherboard still has a tendency to maintain voltage rather than add it unlike mine under load with LLC on, by all means knock your volts up if you stay within reason.

A bit on RAM speed/timings/volts (If you don't understand this READ!)
for 1600MHz CAS9 RAM, 1100-1300MHz with 7-7-7/6-7-6 timings seems common.
for 1333MHz CAS9 RAM, you have really bad RAM, stay close to stock.
for 1333MHz CAS7 RAM, keep close to stock as well.
for 1600MHz CAS7 and under and 2000MHz+ RAM, as close to 1333MHz as possible and as low timings as possible, just test and tune it. (some higher frequency RAM doesn't like dividers pushing it so low, watch out with 2000MHz+ RAM especially!)
RAM voltage is finicky, don't overvolt heat-spreader free RAM by much, though I have heard spreaders make little difference in IC temp overvolted ValueRAM is a recipe for disaster. RAM at 1.5v stock I would run at up to 1.65v 24/7 and RAM at 1.65v stock I would go 1.7-1.75v on, if it's based on Elpida BBSE/Hyper ICs 1.75v is HIGH but SAFE-ish.
-Just info for OCing in general regarding AMD RAM settings, BSODs result only from memory instability unless CPU mentioned on the BSOD screen, Unstable CPU OCs those result in system resets/lockups. Most "Overclocking Failed!" POSTs are caused by RAM timings/frequency/and to a lesser extent voltage and dividers. However that is not the sole cause of these POST errors, if RAM adjustment doesn't solve it you HT Ref is too high!

That's all I can offer, feel free to make suggestions and correct me if you can back your claims up. This comes from research, personal experience, and other members of OCN!
-I know this is a bit unorganized but I hope to fix this all up soon!