Format without getting to windows and w/o CD

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Is there a way to format my hard drive (and the partitioned drive) without using the windows xp CD and without getting to windows. For some reason, my keyboard stops working once in windows. It also stops working when I try to boot from the xp CD.

I tried doing a factory system recovery, but with a new mobo, i got that stupid Code Purple. I downloaded an iso of WinXP, which worked to an extent.. but once I started updating windows, specifically sp2, I got nothing but problems (only starts in safe mode, keyboard not working, new drivers only partially install, etc). So now I want my hard drive completely wiped so I can start fresh with either winxp or win7.

Any help would be great. thanks

Zenthar

Distinguished
If you boot from the XP CD and your keyboard doesn't work then the problem isn't you Windows installation; if you format the disk using something else, you will face the same problem when you try to install the OS again.

Have you ruled-out that the keyboard might be the problem? Is your keyboard USB or PS2? Check if you don't have some BIOS USB setting enabled or disabled, maybe that is causing issues.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have an Compaq Presario. I realize I can't do it with a different mobo if you are using the partition to do the recovery, but I'm supposed to be able to with the XP CD.

As for the keyboard, I have tried 2 different ones. One USB and one PS2. They both fail. I don't think it's windows, but the problems started once I update windows with service pack 2. Everything was functional until I did that.

Maybe I'll just buy a new hard drive...

Zenthar

Distinguished
The problem could be an incompatibility between SP2 and your computer, but that wouldn't explain the problem booting from the CD (unless it's a CD with SP2 already on it. Have you tried jumping directly to SP3?

wrbros

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I reformatted my HDD from Vista to Windows 7 and only realized that I do not have all the drivers of the devices that I have to install. One of these devices is my writing tablet. I searced the net for possible drivers and have it downloaded. Installation was brisk and appeared to be okay. However, from time to time I would receive the “hardware error 1024” message. What does this error mean and how can it be fixed?

For additional help you can see here <a href="http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-reformat-without-using-driver-motherboard" target="_blank">How to reformat without using driver from motherboard | Techyv.com</a>

patricialebnon

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hey I also had the same problem but I solved it by visiting Techyv.com.I just logged on to Techyv.com and posted my question out there and within no time I got the answer to my problem.One of the experts on techyv answered my query very efficiently and my problem was solved.Cheers to techyv.com!!!