Sign in with
Your question

NEED Help resurrecting my XP

Last response: in Windows XP
October 14, 2011 7:46:35 PM

Here I am, Back again with another question, I feel like need the windows for dummies course.

I got an email ther other day with what I think was a virus attached. IT started a download while I wasn't apying any attention and I ended up with a "system restore" screen. I did a hard shut down as soon as I noticed but I believe I was too late.

After I restarted in safe mode and deleted the only "new" program I could find. I still haven't been able to get my win xp to run correctly.

Symtoms:
1) my quick start bar is empty - should be around 12 or more programs listed.
2) my All Programs has only links to a) McAfee Total Protection - Which I had to completely uninstall and reinstall to get to work
b)Open Office c)sytem restore - which was never there before, and I tried the sub menu to uninstall and It says I don't have admin permission [I don't have an admin account setup]. d) a coupl of more links to McAfee services that appeared since my reinstall.
* * * There should be about three whole columns of directories and programs listed.
3) If I open "My Computer" - all I get when I drop the search panel open is the pic of that stupid dog. - - It was never there before and there is nothing in the panel. The same thing happens when I try to use windows explorer.
4) I can't find anything out of the ordinary in the add/remove programs list.
5) I tried to go back a month with windows restore and nothing seems to have changed.
6) I have tried to do a couple of other things from the Administrator Tools and I can't. I get "You don't have adminisstrator permission". I have never set up any admin account and no admin comes up when I "switch user". Only HP_Owner account here.

I would like to figure out how to repair my win XP installation without going to the whole Factory install. I do not have any disks just the D: HP_RECOVERY

I hope someone can help. BTW, I can't seem to get rid of the traces of that damn "system_restore". There is supposed to be a www.system-restore.com website but I didn't have the Bal_s to go there, but I would like to start some sort of a class action lawsuit against them. I think this is damn near as bad as terrorism.

TIA, Bob

More about : resurrecting

October 14, 2011 7:51:42 PM

Another thing I just noticed is all my favorites seem to be gone and the favorites toolbar is gone from my IE8
m
l
October 14, 2011 9:37:40 PM

The one tool nobody seems to use sometimes is the best tool.

It's the Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830).

If you can access Microsoft sites, you can get it
HERE.

If you can't access Microsoft, you can get an older version HERE that will get you back to accessing Microsoft so you can run the newest version.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2011 3:24:41 AM

Ran that, Ran my McAfee, Ran a program Micrsoft told me to run on a system some time ago, SuperAntiSpyWare or something like that.

I've tried everything i could think about. I need something to rebuild a corrupted windows installation, without a a three day reinstallation.
m
l
October 15, 2011 3:39:50 AM

I can offer a tool....

DetectAutoruns is a small program that will show what loads when Windows is loaded. It shows just about everything except Rootkits.

If you use it, you may find some "A-B Normal" stuff loading that looks like it was made and named by someone with no understanding of English. You can spot suspicious files and stop them from loading with Widows and even investigate what any strange looking files are, and then decide.

Just an offer, get it
HERE
m
l
October 15, 2011 6:39:17 PM

You can also try to run Malwarebytes in safe mode....
Also , do a clean user (administrator rights) account, it seems that you are going to need it if what we suggested doesn't work...
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:02:22 AM

I ran the autorun but I don't have a clue as to what all the listings are, but I think I have gotten rid of all the malware. Now I just have to find out how to get my Start Menu, Favorites, get back to being able to use my Admin Tools etc.

I have a couple of older backups of StartMenu, Favs, Etc But don't know how to go about getting them back where they belong. Is there a way to do a "HArd REstore" to an earlier good date or will it still try to rebuild from the crap files?

Thanks
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:46:10 AM

AutoRuns shows everything that loads when Windows starts. It shows the publisher of every file. Here is where you can look for suspicious files, they won't have a publisher. A missing publisher doesn't automatically make it bad, it's just the first place to look for something that doesn't belong in your system.
m
l
October 20, 2011 4:34:42 PM

Boy this is one annoying trojan. I gather that it's downloaded upon clicking a pop-up. See here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-wi...

Unfortunately, it's got complete control of my Mom's computer and I haven't been able to implement any of the remedies in the link above.

I clicked on the "Purchase Now" link in a last ditch effort to get some information about what sort of malware I was dealing with. It took me to this payment page: https://www.system-restore.com/secure/payments/

Right now, I'd like to see the people who created this crap in jail. I'll post again once I find a solution.
m
l
October 20, 2011 4:50:00 PM

FrY10cK said:
Boy this is one annoying trojan.

<snip>

You really should start your own thread if you are having a problem so people don't get confused as to what problem they are working on and you will receive individual help on your specific situation.

m
l
October 20, 2011 5:57:38 PM

tigsounds said:
You really should start your own thread if you are having a problem so people don't get confused as to what problem they are working on and you will receive individual help on your specific situation.

You may have missed where the OP wrote this:
Quote:
I hope someone can help. BTW, I can't seem to get rid of the traces of that damn "system_restore". There is supposed to be a www.system-restore.com website but I didn't have the Bal_s to go there, but I would like to start some sort of a class action lawsuit against them. I think this is damn near as bad as terrorism.

His problem and mine are the same. The links I provided might prove helpful to him.
m
l
October 20, 2011 6:02:00 PM

I stand corrected.

m
l
October 23, 2011 2:31:55 AM

I'll keep an eye out and I hope you have better luck than I have had. ANother thing that I have encountered is a glitch with the quick launch and start menu. I can add programs to the link but after I open and close XP they are all gone again.
m
l
!