Sign in with
Your question

ATI RAdeon Saphire HD3650

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2009 10:30:31 PM

I have a SOny Vaio PCV RS420, 512mb RAM (will upgrade) A pentium 4 2.8ghz Hyperthreading technology, a AGP8x slot, a 550watt PSU.

I bought a ATI Radeon Saphire HD3650 512mb ddr2 that fits a AGP8x slot and lo and behold it doesn't work. The fan on the card spins but no picture shows up on the monitor. (NO I do not have onboard graphics) My old graphics card a ATI Radeon 9200 (works) no problems with the old one. I tried some things to see if it was a defect in the card. I can connect to my desktop via my laptop. So I can put my old card in and unplug the VGA cable and see picture from my desktop on my laptop. If I put the new graphics card in I cannot see picture on the monitor nor on my laptop (black screen of death) it acts as if the pc is off. Now, I know the computer boots up but it will not recognize the graphics card. Is it my motherboard not compatible or the graphics card or not enough RAM?

Here is a video of what I am doing and what is happening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoR83QVtZ8I
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2009 10:49:04 PM

You did remember to plug in the aux power plug in the upper right hand corner?

It will not work without the additional power supply hooked up.
May 31, 2009 10:56:23 PM

Yes I did because if I wouldn't the computer has critical beeps and shuts down.
Related resources
May 31, 2009 10:57:54 PM

Quote:
You did remember to plug in the aux power plug in the upper right hand corner?

It will not work without the additional power supply hooked up.

yes I did. Does ram play something here, the card needs a minimum of 1gig I have 512mb. but Idk why some sort of picture still has to show up.
May 31, 2009 11:04:36 PM

oleg212 said:
yes I did. Does ram play something here, the card needs a minimum of 1gig I have 512mb. but Idk why some sort of picture still has to show up.

it shouldnt be.

sorry to say man but i had a similar problem with my old AGP system. nothing showed on the screen. it turned out that my graphics card's agp interface was too new for my old agp motherboard.
May 31, 2009 11:26:59 PM

rambo117 said:
it shouldnt be.

sorry to say man but i had a similar problem with my old AGP system. nothing showed on the screen. it turned out that my graphics card's agp interface was too new for my old agp motherboard.

I was just thinking I am probably gonna give it back and just build a new computer.
May 31, 2009 11:51:24 PM

Ok guys I found a AGP update specifically for my motherboard hope it will work.
June 1, 2009 10:54:40 PM

alright dude, i saw your yutube video and i did not see you plug in the power cable for the video card. power plug is exactly like a floppy power plug.
June 1, 2009 11:16:27 PM

ricman said:
alright dude, i saw your yutube video and i did not see you plug in the power cable for the video card. power plug is exactly like a floppy power plug.

I am not sure, I think a part got cut out or something. I did because if I wouldn't it would start to beep. It is a 4pin that connects through molex
June 2, 2009 5:22:20 AM

hmm, I dont think your system has enough ram to support the card. I recently learned that gfx cards eat your ram address ranges. You only have 512 ram on-board, but your card requires 512 mb of addressing space.

So your card is trying to reserve all the ram your system currently has (as far as i Know it doesnt use the paging file for this as the addressing space is requested at boot).

So you will need at least 1 GB of ram (512 left over) to use the card, preferably 2GB on board so you have 1.5 GB that your system can use.
a c 171 U Graphics card
June 2, 2009 5:48:51 AM

Who's drivers are you using? Make sure you get the drivers from Sapphire. AMDs drivers won't work.

Geo, your close but not quite there. On a 32bit version of windows, address space is reserved starting at 4GBs and working its way back. This means 3.75-4GBs might be reserved for the video card, 3.5-3.75 for I/O, etc. His 512MBs of ram starts at the beginning and won't be touched. (unless he has more then 3.5GBs of space that needs to be reserved.)
June 2, 2009 6:28:20 AM

Yes the power input plug is the 4-pin floppy power connector, weird but its is....... :lol: 
!