System Registry

Is there a way to "reset or re-install" the Windows
System Registry? Mine contain some hidden firewall that
is keeping my DSL modem from working properly and I can't
get the registry to reset by doing a system restore. Any
ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about system registry

    Hi

    I'm not sure I understood 'hidden firewall'. Why isn't your modem working
    properly? How far back have you tried with SR - to a point before the
    problem started?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "D. Nedbalek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Is there a way to "reset or re-install" the Windows
    | System Registry? Mine contain some hidden firewall that
    | is keeping my DSL modem from working properly and I can't
    | get the registry to reset by doing a system restore. Any
    | ideas?

    Current registry is in %systemroot%\system32\config. The original registry
    timestamped by the day of install is in %systemroot%\repair. If you've ever
    backed up the registry or created Restore Point you may have more recent
    registry.

    You can retrieve Product Key only from the registry but you need Product
    Installation Key. Extracting PIK from the dead installation is hard because
    the key is encrypted and crypting involves various HKLM keys. If you want
    any help with recovering Windows you can open new thread.

    Hi

    Try here:

    "David Porter" <DavidPorter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | This is helping me with another problem. I have a buddy who has retail
    version of XP Home on a drive that crashed. He can not find the product
    key. I am trying to do a clean install on a new dive, but first I need to
    retrive his key. I can get at the file on his crashed drive, but it will
    not boot.

    | Can I copy the files in the windows\repair directory from his crashed
    drive, over the files in a new installation, and restore to his original
    registry? If this would work, I think I can retreive his original product
    key. Thanks
    | --
    | Dave
    |

    | "Jetro" wrote:
    |
    | > Current registry is in %systemroot%\system32\config. The original
    registry
    | > timestamped by the day of install is in %systemroot%\repair. If you've
    ever
    | > backed up the registry or created Restore Point you may have more recent
    | > registry.

    I have this keyfinder and it works great. My problem now is that I can not boot with the registry that has the key that I need to get with the keyfinder. I need to get the registry off of the drive that won't boot and onto a drive that will so that I can use the keyfinder. I am not there yet.
    --
    Dave

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try here:
    >
    > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "David Porter" <DavidPorter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | This is helping me with another problem. I have a buddy who has retail
    > version of XP Home on a drive that crashed. He can not find the product
    > key. I am trying to do a clean install on a new dive, but first I need to
    > retrive his key. I can get at the file on his crashed drive, but it will
    > not boot.
    > |
    > | Can I copy the files in the windows\repair directory from his crashed
    > drive, over the files in a new installation, and restore to his original
    > registry? If this would work, I think I can retreive his original product
    > key. Thanks
    > | --
    > | Dave
    > |

    > | "Jetro" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Current registry is in %systemroot%\system32\config. The original
    > registry
    > | > timestamped by the day of install is in %systemroot%\repair. If you've
    > ever
    > | > backed up the registry or created Restore Point you may have more recent
    > | > registry.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hi Dave

    Can you access Windows via Safe Mode?

    --

    | I have this keyfinder and it works great. My problem now is that I can
    not boot with the registry that has the key that I need to get with the
    keyfinder. I need to get the registry off of the drive that won't boot and
    onto a drive that will so that I can use the keyfinder. I am not there yet.
    | --
    | Dave
    |

    | "Will Denny" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > Try here:
    | >
    | > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "David Porter" <DavidPorter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | This is helping me with another problem. I have a buddy who has
    retail
    | > version of XP Home on a drive that crashed. He can not find the product
    | > key. I am trying to do a clean install on a new dive, but first I need
    | > retrive his key. I can get at the file on his crashed drive, but it
    will
    | > not boot.
    | > |
    | > | Can I copy the files in the windows\repair directory from his crashed
    | > drive, over the files in a new installation, and restore to his original
    | > registry? If this would work, I think I can retreive his original
    product
    | > key. Thanks
    | > | --
    | > | Dave
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Jetro" wrote:
    | > |
    | > registry
    | > ever

Configuration Registry Microsoft Windows XP