System Registry

Is there a way to "reset or re-install" the Windows
System Registry? Mine contain some hidden firewall that
is keeping my DSL modem from working properly and I can't
get the registry to reset by doing a system restore. Any
ideas?

Hi

I'm not sure I understood 'hidden firewall'. Why isn't your modem working
properly? How far back have you tried with SR - to a point before the
problem started?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"D. Nedbalek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Is there a way to "reset or re-install" the Windows
| System Registry? Mine contain some hidden firewall that
| is keeping my DSL modem from working properly and I can't
| get the registry to reset by doing a system restore. Any
| ideas?

Current registry is in %systemroot%\system32\config. The original registry
timestamped by the day of install is in %systemroot%\repair. If you've ever
backed up the registry or created Restore Point you may have more recent
registry.

You can retrieve Product Key only from the registry but you need Product
Installation Key. Extracting PIK from the dead installation is hard because
the key is encrypted and crypting involves various HKLM keys. If you want
any help with recovering Windows you can open new thread.

Hi

Try here:

"David Porter" <DavidPorter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| This is helping me with another problem. I have a buddy who has retail
version of XP Home on a drive that crashed. He can not find the product
key. I am trying to do a clean install on a new dive, but first I need to
retrive his key. I can get at the file on his crashed drive, but it will
not boot.

| Can I copy the files in the windows\repair directory from his crashed
drive, over the files in a new installation, and restore to his original
registry? If this would work, I think I can retreive his original product
key. Thanks
| --
| Dave
|

| "Jetro" wrote:
|
| > Current registry is in %systemroot%\system32\config. The original
registry
| > timestamped by the day of install is in %systemroot%\repair. If you've
ever
| > backed up the registry or created Restore Point you may have more recent
| > registry.

I have this keyfinder and it works great. My problem now is that I can not boot with the registry that has the key that I need to get with the keyfinder. I need to get the registry off of the drive that won't boot and onto a drive that will so that I can use the keyfinder. I am not there yet.
--
Dave

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try here:
>
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "David Porter" <DavidPorter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | This is helping me with another problem. I have a buddy who has retail
> version of XP Home on a drive that crashed. He can not find the product
> key. I am trying to do a clean install on a new dive, but first I need to
> retrive his key. I can get at the file on his crashed drive, but it will
> not boot.
> |
> | Can I copy the files in the windows\repair directory from his crashed
> drive, over the files in a new installation, and restore to his original
> registry? If this would work, I think I can retreive his original product
> key. Thanks
> | --
> | Dave
> |

> | "Jetro" wrote:
> |
> | > Current registry is in %systemroot%\system32\config. The original
> registry
> | > timestamped by the day of install is in %systemroot%\repair. If you've
> ever
> | > backed up the registry or created Restore Point you may have more recent
> | > registry.

Hi Dave

Can you access Windows via Safe Mode?

--

| I have this keyfinder and it works great. My problem now is that I can
not boot with the registry that has the key that I need to get with the
keyfinder. I need to get the registry off of the drive that won't boot and
onto a drive that will so that I can use the keyfinder. I am not there yet.
| --
| Dave
|

| "Will Denny" wrote:
|
| > Hi
| >
| > Try here:
| >
| > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
| > Please reply to the News Groups
| >

| > "David Porter" <DavidPorter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | This is helping me with another problem. I have a buddy who has
retail
| > version of XP Home on a drive that crashed. He can not find the product
| > key. I am trying to do a clean install on a new dive, but first I need
| > retrive his key. I can get at the file on his crashed drive, but it
will
| > not boot.
| > |
| > | Can I copy the files in the windows\repair directory from his crashed
| > drive, over the files in a new installation, and restore to his original
| > registry? If this would work, I think I can retreive his original
product
| > key. Thanks
| > | --
| > | Dave