Reduce fan noise by changing PC case

beaulieu80

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Hi friends, I would like to change my PC Case to reduce the fans noise.

I currently have:
Zalman CNPS9700NT CPU Fan
Asus P5N-T-DX Motherboard
Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
OCZ 700W Gamer XStream SLI (OCZ700GXSSLI)
Intel Q9450 2.66Ghz

I try to reduce the fan speeds but the lowest i can get is 2500 RPM for the CPU.

My Zalman cpu fan make WAY too much noise.

I need to find a new PC case that will cut by half my pc noise.

thank you all!

I second getting a new CPU cooler. Look for cases made of steel or really thick aluminum. Heavier cases don't resonate noise as much as light wieght cases do. The cosmos 1000 is the quietest case I've used personally. The p182 is way to cramped and can be a problem with some PSUs.

beaulieu80

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
If we looked at the internet reviews about my Zalman CNPS9700NT,

we can see that ALL of them are saying that is the quietess fan, which is not true because mine makes ALOT of noise at 2500 rpm.

just sad that i spend 75$ for nothing... and now i need to spend more...

You need better reviews. Here's one from Anandtech for example that does show that the Zalman 9700 is one of the noisiest coolers.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2965&p=7

Edit: on second thought, look how the Zalman 9700 at 1250 rpm is just as quiet as the others. For example it got the same dB as my own Scythe Ninja, and I can tell you that one is very quiet. Can you just reduce the rpm for your cooler instead of replacing it? You can use a free download called Speedfan for that.

beaulieu80

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
i cant reduce more the RPM of my fan because the Motherboard do not allow me to go slower

I setup my Asus P5N-T-DX fan speed to to lowest option which is silent. and it still run at 2500. at normal speed it runs at 2800 rpm.

there is a significant diffirent on the sounds by just 300 lower than normal. so if i could only reach 2000 RPM. i think my cpu will still be in good shape and ALOT of noise will be reduce too. but i cant found how.

i try using the speedfan. but cant find the option to set the fan speed...

thanks

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I have the Zalman 9700 NT...and it does get a little loud when its running high. I will also tell you its a lot quieter than other CPU coolers...it could actually be louder but its not ^_^. Mine keeps the CPU @ 38°C on idle..and 50°C playing crysis...Even then its running at about 1500RPMs and i can't hear it. Maybe its the case too...but i can hear the 8800GT running at 80% fan speed...very loud.

You might need this one...and the big Arctic Coolers are key.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

beaulieu80

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008

how did you manage to reduce the fan speed at 1500? because at that speed i wont have any issue anymore

thanks

beaulieu80

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
yes i went inside the BIOS but but i cannot assign the rpm value just the option SILENT.

I just found out that most of my noise was from my Video card it runs like crazy !! XFX 8800GT 512MB

now i found another problem. my Motherboard temperture on gaming load gets hover 55degrees and CPU over 70 degrees!!

i have a full tower with 3 rears fans 2X90mm, 1X120mm plus my big Zalman fan for the CPU.

is it dangerous to damage my hardware?

thanx

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265360-31-water-cooling-system
The reason you can't get the Zalman CPU cooler to run slower/quieter might be because its running too hot.
Are you sure the CPU cooler is installed correctly?

I agree. The fan won't slow down when the CPU is overheating. I would pull off the cooler, clean off the thermal paste, install fresh thermal paste, and re-install the HSF. You shouldn't be getting anywhere near 70C on a non-overclocked CPU with that Zalman HSF.

One other thought. The CPU fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not a SYS_FAN header, right?

beaulieu80

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
i dont know! im at work now. i will check that out if it is plugged correctly. and try to take off the FAN and change de grease.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS