Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Not mounted CPU cooler?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2009 2:12:42 AM

Okay guys so i bought a Artic silver 7 pro.
It had these really annoying plastic clip things that just wouldn't go in! I spent 2 hours trying, and while installing it i pushed a little harder thinking it needed it, and accidentally bent a few.

So i was really upset, but i decided to place it on my cpu unmounted. the paste was VERY sticky so it stays on pretty well, im using it right now, i then took some tape [electrical tape mind you] and taped it down.

My temps are amazing! my Q6600 Overclocked to 3.0 GHZ is running at 35 Celsius idle average, and i ran Prime 95 for an hour and the MAX temperature was 57 Celsius, which was reached by only my third core, the rest maxed at 55 and one actually maxed at 50. I also played Crysis [very high settings, 2x AA] and it maxed out at 54 C

So with the load temp 20 Celsius cooler then before, and my idle about 10 Celsius cooler, is there really a problem with having it unmounted? one of the plastic clips i managed to push in, its stuck via the paste, and taped down nicely. It hasnt moved at all, my temps are consistent and the heatsink isnt wobbling at all it looks pretty secure to me, and these temps are great.

More about : mounted cpu cooler

Best solution

August 15, 2009 2:55:13 AM

First of all, one should never use tape to secure a CPU fan onto a CPU. Fortunately, most CPU these days are programmed to shut off when the CPU is about to self destruct.

Intel's new Core 2 Duo processors such as the Yorkfield or Wolfdale can take heat up to 100 celsius without destroying itself; but the fact of the matter is that the CPU fan MUST be secured onto the CPU in order to cool it properly.

If you had the motherboard alone and out of the case you should be able to pick the entire motherboard up by the CPU fan without it coming off, otherwise it isn't secure.

Personally, my E8400 Wolfdale stays at a nice 26 degrees Celsius while idle and usually about 32 degrees celsius while working.

A game like Crysis actually will perform just fine on a Core 2 Duo running at 2.6GHz. What you need is a high performance PCI-E 2.0 card, such as the 9800GTX+ 200 series Nvidia card and very fast DDRAM (I'm talking upwards of 1066MHz, which is what I use)

I love the Butterfly fan, which is made for LGA 775 sockets, which support the Core 2 Duo. It keeps my CPU very cool. You have a Kentsfield, quad processor, which also supports LGA 775 sockets, and thus you can use a butterfly.

If you want a really good deal on computers components visit NewEgg, they are the best!

I hope this helps. :) 
August 15, 2009 2:58:16 AM

Okay thanks for the info, if my cpu starts heating up at all, ill switch back to my old cooler secured very nice and tight.
Oh and also my GPU is up to todays standards, its a ATI HD 4890, a bit overclocked
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2009 4:18:48 AM

Let me give you a tip.

The push pin systen is best done with the mobo outside the case.

I have done several 100 of em. It takes about 4 secs and easy as pie outside the case.

Trying isnside the case causes the mobo to flex and bottom out on the tray not allowing the pins to go in all the way.

Tape might work temporarily but I wouldnt let my $200 ride on .10 tape. Dont be a noob, put on stock cooler nd if you need to buy another after market one. Either way, clean paste, add new and assemble it like I told you and you wont have any issues.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2009 5:00:29 PM

Erm... Electrical Tape ??? haha never heard that one. Why Intel cant use a similar mounting system to the old socket 478 retaining bracket is beyond me.

I must confess after dozens of builds the odd push pin thing can still cause problems - with with the mobo outside the case... I prefer HSF's with backplates and screws - much more secure
m
l
August 15, 2009 5:49:56 PM

ulysses35 said:
Erm... Electrical Tape ??? haha never heard that one. Why Intel cant use a similar mounting system to the old socket 478 retaining bracket is beyond me.

I must confess after dozens of builds the odd push pin thing can still cause problems - with with the mobo outside the case... I prefer HSF's with backplates and screws - much more secure

yah the screws are so much nicer for me then the push pins, very easy to install and gets the job done great.

And yes elecrtical tape :)  it seems to work pretty good its nice and secure and my temps are doing great =D
m
l
!